An Old School Catholic Message Board

More Medical Tests

OnlySunshine

OnlySunshine

I was a mess last night - mentally and physically.  I had a spasm attack (one of the worse I've ever had) accompanied by several trips to the bathroom.  I think it was a combination of stress and my undiagnosed condition.  After seeing my GI doctor today, he is moving away from the gallbladder and focusing on my large intestine - specifically, my colon. He has ordered 2 more tests - a hydrogen breath test to check for bacterial overgrowth and a colonoscopy to check for inflammation and other problems.  He showed me a diagram where the large intestine comes up underneath the gallbladder and liver so it could possibly be the cause of my troubles.  He really wants to get me a diagnosis because I've never had this many problems before.  I've been eating gluten-free for over 4 years and I've had problems with IBS since I was 19 - this is something different.  Either it's something else all together or the IBS has worsened.  He put me on a course of probiotics as well as continuing the antispasmodic I've been on for 2 weeks since that has caused some improvement.  He also told me to lower my stress level since stress seems to exacerbate my symptoms - as evidenced by last night.  I also mentioned to him that my fatigue has worsened to the point that I feel like I'm going to fall asleep at my desk in the afternoon.  I'm not sure if the tests will show anything, but please say some prayers that I get an official diagnosis soon.  The HBT is scheduled July 1st and the colonoscopy is scheduled for July 20th.  I'm also scheduled for a follow-up appointment on August 5th to discuss the results of both tests.

Edited by OnlySunshine