An Old School Catholic Message Board

Young Carmelite, smiling in death

DameAgnes

FlowerofCarmel

I actually posted a comment on Facebook wanting know a little more about her, (A religious Community brought a photo up of her) and here you are its on Phatmass! thank you.

Apparently the Carmelites have issued a clarification that these images were taken as death approached but not after the nun's death. Still impressive, to me. I can't smile when I have a cramp. This nun was just joyful looking.

1 hour ago, DameAgnes said:

Apparently the Carmelites have issued a clarification that these images were taken as death approached but not after the nun's death. Still impressive, to me. I can't smile when I have a cramp. This nun was just joyful looking.

Regardless...this young Carmelite is joyful as death--one of life's greatest mysteries--approaches!  I was reminded of the last stanza of "The Dying Christian to His Soul" (a poem written by Alexander Pope [1688-1744]):

The world recedes; it disappears!  

Heav'n opens my eyes!  my ears!

With sounds seraphic ring!

Lend, lend your wings!  I Mount!  I fly!

O Grave! Where is thy victory?

O Death!  Where is thy sting?  (Thanks, St. Paul, for the last two lines...found in 1 Corinthians 15:55!)  

While Christians believe it is the beginning of Eternal Life...another young Carmelite nun, St. Therese of Lisieux, writes (in The Story of A Soul) about the onslaught of emotion, thoughts and fears she faced during her own dying process...even to the point of telling those who attend the dying "not to leave medicines" nearby (for moments of despair!).  Thanks again, DameAgnes, for posting this thread!  It gives hope to all of us.