An Old School Catholic Message Board

How about the OLDEST communities?

sr.christinaosf

sr.christinaosf

So often, here and in other forums, people are sharing about this or that NEW community...

While this is exiting, I would like to start a thread about another exiting cluster of religious congregations; that is the OLDEST!  

You may call me biased, because my congregation is the oldest group of women of the Third Order Regular of St. Francis in continuous existence. 

Although they weren't 'Franciscan' from the very start,, they were founded back in 1241.

For more info, you can go to: https://ourfranciscanfiat.wordpress.com/2015/10/21/sauerkraut-days-in-north-dakota-or-dillingen-germany/

There's also an article on the IRL website about our 775th anniversary celebration.

Anyone else, please add details here about some of the OLDEST communities you know.

This could be fun... :)

sr.christinaosf

Cool!  Can you share a little about your history?

Edited by sr.christinaosf

NadaTeTurbe

It's not that old, but I like very much the Daughters of Charity, founded in 1633. They are among the first group of religious women founded for apostolic work and serving the poors. It was revolutionnary from St Vincent to do that ! Their spirituality is amazin, and there's so much saints ! 

Congratulation on your congregation for living so long Sister Christina ! Did you ever go to Germany to visit the Motherhouse ? 

In the US, "old" isn't nearly as old as it is in Europe, but the second-oldest Carmelite monastery is in the US is in St. Louis. The founding nuns came here during the Civil War - 1863, I think. They're in their second location now, but they've been going strong for over 150 years. On of the Phamily entered there on the Feast of St. Mark.

And they've founded I-don't-know-how-many daughter houses - Covington, Louisiana (originally in New Orleans); Springfield, Missouri (which is closed now); Sioux City, Iowa; Guam; I think one in California; and others as well, I believe.

It's an "old" of shorter duration, but it's still old.

Sponsa-Christi

@sr.christinaosf Very cool about your community's history!

As for the Ordo Virgium...the first written version that we have of the Rite of Consecration to a Life of Virginity is found in the eighth-century manuscripts of the Gelasian and Leonine Sacramentaries. However, St. Ambrose makes a reference to the Rite in one of his fourth-century writings.

However, if you count the "ever-virgins called widows" that St. Ignatius of Antioch greets in his epistles, then we have a second-century reference the Order of Virgins.  

4 hours ago, Sr Mary Catharine OP said:

We're old..810 years!

Ah...you don't look a day over 750! ;)

Sister Leticia

The Society of the Sacred Heart isn't "old" - we're more middle-aged, as we were founded *only* 216 years ago! (Although, as St Madeleine Sophie liked to trace our foundation back to the moment when Jesus' Heart was pierced on the cross, maybe we could claim doyenne status?!)

But as Luigi says, age is relative in countries outside Europe. The Society came to the US in 1818, so almost 200 years ago. But we were by no means the first. When Philippine and her companions docked in New Orleans they were taken in by the Ursulines, who were already well established there. But I think we were the first religious women in Missouri (certainly the first ones to open a school)

Luigi - if you're from St Louis you'll know more than I do about the "oldest" in your area.

Aw, none of you can hold a candle to the Benedictines. :hehe2: Seriously, as an American I have to say that "old" in New World terms is relative (and there are Canadian congregations older than any established in the U.S.). But I think Sr. Christine is right to call attention to those that are well and long-established. I'm often surprised at how little attention they get in this phorum, except for some of the contemplatives.... 

The oldest monastery of nuns that I know is Nonnberg Abbey in Salzburg, Austria, founded around the year 715. Yes. No I didn't forget the 1 before 715, it's really that old and still alive and existing without any interruption. It's an absolutely fascinating place.

If you're thinking about becoming a benedictine nun, go and visit them. :love:

3 hours ago, Senensis said:

The oldest monastery of nuns that I know is Nonnberg Abbey in Salzburg, Austria, founded around the year 715. Yes. No I didn't forget the 1 before 715, it's really that old and still alive and existing without any interruption. It's an absolutely fascinating place.

If you're thinking about becoming a benedictine nun, go and visit them. :love:

:o

ah yes the one where a certain real life Maria von Trapp was a postulant for a time :)

NadaTeTurbe

I think the oldest monastery in France is the Benedictine Abbey of Saint Martin de Ligugé, founded my Saint Martin de Tours, in... 361. Yep. Not kidding. The fourth century. Its story is quite fascinating, since it was founded before St Benedict rule was written. The monastery have been destroyed, the monks deported to another countries many times, and it's still here ! It's part of the Solesmes congregation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligugé_Abbey