An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is It Kosher to Attend an SSPX Mass?

Gabriela

1. Even if I have plenty of other Masses I could attend?

2. Will it fulfill my Sunday obligation?

3. Can I receive communion there?

4. Is the host there really Christ's body?

truthfinder

Alright, I'll give this a go - caveat - this is a complex question, I'm not a canon lawyer, and sometimes individual bishops issue mandates for their own dioceses which are binding for their laity but not laity of other dioceses - ie, one particular bishop banned all his diocese from attending the SSPX chapel, particularly on the grounds that there was a FSSP community in the same diocese.

1. This is probably the most contested of your questions, and the opinion varies even amongst several well-informed Cardinals who because of their positions in the curia have issued documents regarding it.  Some of them have said yes, you can attend as long as you are not doing so to specifically to manifest contempt for the Church or 'schismatic' sentiments. Others would definitely agree that it would be fine if there are no other local EF masses or on an occasional basis. 

2. Consensus of the last few years seems to be yes - since canon law just specifies attending a Mass - regardless if it's illicit or not. (If licitness was an issue, a generation of Catholics would have had a problem with fulfilling their obligation).

3. Maybe - since receiving Communion expresses that one believes what the Church believes, and since the Church has basically said She is not in a state of emergency (the rationale behind the SSPX's actions), receiving communion in their churches can be perceived as agreeing with their beliefs in regards to their canonical status. That being said, there have been statements made that the occasional reception of Communion in their churches, such as on special occasions and also when it's the only Catholic church around, would be ok. (And make no mistake, the SSPX are Catholic and they are not schismatic). The stronger problems of their sacraments come with confession (which needs faculties which, except in this year of Mercy and at the moment of death, according to the Church, they do not have) and Marriages (which also need the approval/authorization of the local ordinary). 

4. Yes - It's Jesus!