An Old School Catholic Message Board

Our Lady of the Mississippi Abbey

Quasar

Hello!  Is anyone familiar with this community in Dubuque, Iowa?  They're contemplative Cistercian/Trappestine nuns; I'm just wondering if anyone has visited or spoken with them before.  Thanks!

Edited by Quasar

katherineH
1 hour ago, Gabriela said:

I visited. What would you like to know?

Gabriela is there any community you've haven't interacted with? :hehe2:

I have visited them many times. They are a wonderful community and I would be happy to answer any questions you have!

salveregina10

This was one of the first communities I visited, they are wonderful. Trappistine life is challenging - the whole praying at 3 am thing and all, but they are joyful, healthy, and vibrant.  I ended up being called to a missionary community, but encourage you to learn more about them.  Their current Superior was vocation directress back then, and she is full of wisdom. 

Edited by salveregina10

19 hours ago, katherineH said:

Gabriela is there any community you've haven't interacted with? :hehe2:

Yeah, pretty much anyone active!

(Except for the CDS and the Sisters of Life and the RSCJ, anyway. ;) )

The community website http://www.mississippiabbey.org is great...but rapidly approaching the curmudgeon-age, I don't quite understand their age limit of 39...when one of their "newer" sisters (a former university theology professor) is clearly 60+!  It was interesting to read their archived blog entries...especially as it appears that the community follows the Cistercian tradition (described in detail in Nancy Klein Maguire's An Infinity of Little Hours) of burying their deceased sans a standard coffin! 

4 minutes ago, Pia Jesu said:

The community website http://www.mississippiabbey.org is great...but rapidly approaching the curmudgeon-age, I don't quite understand their age limit of 39...when one of their "newer" sisters (a former university theology professor) is clearly 60+!  It was interesting to read their archived blog entries...especially as it appears that the community follows the Cistercian tradition (described in detail in Nancy Klein Maguire's An Infinity of Little Hours) of burying their deceased sans a standard coffin! 

An Infinity of Little Hours is about Carthusians.

Also, Trappists are Cistercians, although a late-19th-century breakoff from them. Still, they participate in the inter/national Cistercian meetings and are considered by all to be just one branch of Cistercians.

Trappists are famous for not really caring much about ages when it comes to new vocations. I wouldn't take any age limit on a Trappist website very seriously!

Thanks for clarifying my Carthusian/Cistercian/Trappist confusion!  :oops:The Iowa community seems like a wonderful group of women! 

I visited after I left New Melleray last year on retreat. .They make good candy.

Edited by John Paul

1 hour ago, Pia Jesu said:

The older sister who is still in formation was well-known to the community. She had spent a lot of time there over the years, so when she asked to enter, they already had a clear idea of her spiritual state, her personality, and so forth. There might be more to that story, too - I don't know if was married and her husband passed away, or what the deal was, but the point is that she knew them and they knew her.

Also , Trappists DO bury deceased in coffins - the monks at New Melleray produce coffins, and both the monks and nuns in Iowa use them when needed.

• 4 weeks later...

Recent weather-related excitement at the abbey - storms, tornados (to the south), lightning [sometimes misspelled in the story below] strikes! I guess the nuns know how to read signs from God, and they're viewing themselves as lucky rather than as "smote."

July 25, 2016

Stormy Weather!

DSC08385.JPGLast week we had our share of Midwest heat,humidity and storms.  On Wednesday morning when most of the sisters were working at candy a fierce storm blew in.  A torrential rain was falling accompanied  by lots of lightning and thunder.  There was also a big bang that was much louder than the thunder.  We found that lightening struck the white pine tree outside of the front of the abbey.  The tree literally exploded splitting the tree and sending branches scattered all over the lawn.  We found out later that the lightening burned the roots allowing water to flow into the garage and causing damage to the electrical system.  We were out of water for a few hours and the phone and computers were out for a few days.
Thursday night we had another storm that dumped 3 inches of rain in a few houses causing flooding in the cloister and senior wing.
DSC08391.JPGOn Saturday evening we had a tornado warning.  In fact, 2 tornadoes touched down south of us.  The high winds caused a tree to fall on the utility lines causing a power outage at the cabin.
Today it is blissfully sunny and dry and warm.  A relief from all that happened last week!

DSC08387.JPG
The magnolia tree behind the white pine tree protected the roof from the force of the fall.

DSC08388.JPG
The brand new roof was not damaged!

DSC08432.JPG
What it looks like now.