An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bingo And Beer

homeschoolmom

homeschoolmom

We went to a father's day carnival at a neighboring parish today... (all of our family-- including RussianGirl-- a novelty) Aside from the rocky start that we got off to (kids being really noisy during mass, small squabble between me and HSDad, :( and HSdaughter not liking going where she doesn't know anyone), we had fun. It's weird to have bingo and beer :cheers: at a church event though... but it was fun. :ph34r:

and smoking too... :smokey:

[quote]It's weird to have bingo and beer at a church event though[/quote]

Hehe....know what you mean! ;) The priest announced the winner of the church raffle in the notices at the end of Mass today. All money, apart from the winnings is going to charity, but it made me smile since raffles were seen as a form of gambling in most of the protestant churches I went to before becoming Catholic, and very much frowned on - we were always discouraged from participating in them!

St. Catherine

Our parish has a big carnival every year to raise money for the parish. A big part of the festivities are the BINGO and beer. They also raffle the Barrel O' Cheer (a cooler filled with booze.) Everyone goes except for a few that are anti giving any money whatsoever to the Catholic Church. There are also game booths for the kids.

I think if its done with the right spirit and done in a community enviroment not like in a sancturayr or something ridic its fine. Like our school has this Calendar Raffle tickets that make a pile of money for the kids that need bursary at our school its a great program and its fun.

homeschoolmom

Oh, I wasn't trying to say that it's wrong... It's not like people were getting plowed or anything... not at all. It's just a culture thing. Seeing smokers at church is still something that I am not used to (Sorry Pedro... I know, I know...) And drinking was something that most people didn't do and if they did, they kept their mouths shut about it...

My daughter and I played a couple of rounds of bingo (and she was this close-- yeah honey, you and everyone else... :sweat:) Hardly gambling... there was a raffle, too, but we didn't stay that long.

(Btw, and just an aside-- this particular parish appears to have the world's youngest priest-- he looked like he could be an alter boy!)

crusader1234

I don't see anything wrong with it.

My Church doesn't do bingo, but there is a lot of beer around at barbeques :rolleyes:

My parish, Our Lady of Czenstochowa, has a Polish festival each summer. There is mild gambling and drinking involved, both of which are fine, of course, in moderation. It's a huge source of income for my parish, and the food's excellent. People from all over Rhode Island come.

The only thing I don't like is the outdoor polka Mass. I think that might be liturgical abuse, so that doesn't sit well with me at all if that's the case.

God bless,

Jen

i think i know what you mean, if i told some people at Intervarsity about the raffles, bingo games, and the beer we serve at some of our events, they'd have a fit!

Mary's Knight, La

When he was first appointed to my diocese the bishop banned all church bingos on the grounds that they should never be needed to support the church, the parishioners should be doing that anyway. He later backed off but I think it only happened after donations increased. It was funny listening to some who were upset.