An Old School Catholic Message Board

Update time

TheresaThoma

TheresaThoma

Hi All so I guess this is kinda a count down thread....

But the exciting update thing is I have been accepted into the aspirancy program at the Mater Redemptoris House of Formation in La Crosse WI. The program starts Sept 6th so 53 days to; tell my family, pack up all my stuff, make my fundraising goal and then actually get there. (My sister is also having her first child any day now so I have to fit that in there along with a wedding). 

Please pray for me. This is going to be hard for my family (I'm telling my mom tomorrow (Friday) night so any prayers then would be greatly appreciated).

This also means that I will not be posting on here for a while. I will be back even if it is briefly so this will just be a good bye for now.

Congratulations! Is this the beginning stage of discerning with the Franciscan Sisters of the Martyr St. George or just continued discernment of religious life in general?

Congratulations!  I will pray for you.  Are you fundraising through Laboure Foundation or on your own (if you care to share)?

TheresaThoma
23 hours ago, katherineH said:

Congratulations! Is this the beginning stage of discerning with the Franciscan Sisters of the Martyr St. George or just continued discernment of religious life in general?

The program is meant to be discernment of religious life in general. I know they have had at least one young women enter their community after going through this program but there is absolutely no pressure to do so. 

13 hours ago, Quasar said:

Congratulations!  I will pray for you.  Are you fundraising through Laboure Foundation or on your own (if you care to share)?

Laboure Foundation is just for student loans, whereas I am actually fundraising for the house itself, so I am on my own. The sisters have provided me lots of information to help me out though. I've been talking with people I know and I set up a YouCaring site. Please pray that it goes well. If you want more info please PM me.

TheresaThoma

I talked to my mom Friday night and she was really calm and pretty much ok with this. I was really really shocked, last time we talked about anything related to religious life she totally flipped out on me. I know that her being calm this time is totally the Lord's doing (with the intercession of Our Lady). It is really freeing to have that behind me, now I can really focus on fundraising. I received my first two donations so that has made it even more real for me. 

For those interested I'm using You Caring.com and I have liked it thus far. It was easy to set up, they also only charge the credit card processing fees unlike some of the other sites I looked at that charge a percentage of your total donations.

This is amesome! I usually go to the Mater Redemptoris House of Formation during the summer for a high school immersion week every year, and the Sisters there are amazing. I just met the new director yesterday and said good-bye to the previous director. I will be praying for you! :) 

:o)Katherine:o)

@TheresaThoma I have been accepted into the aspirancy program and will be moving in September 6th as well! I am so excited and very much look forward to meeting you! Know that you are in my prayers!

TheresaThoma
5 hours ago, :o)Katherine:o) said:

@TheresaThoma I have been accepted into the aspirancy program and will be moving in September 6th as well! I am so excited and very much look forward to meeting you! Know that you are in my prayers!

Ok that is absolutely crazy! Yay!!

:o)Katherine:o)

Isn't it crazy?! :bounce: There is actually someone else from Phatmass that will be an aspirant in the home as well! I met her during my          pre-aspirant retreat. She has not shared publicly on here yet so I will not tag her. Feel free to message me if you have any questions!

In case my jumping smiley face does not give it away, I am very excited to have met you! Well, online at least! ha Know that you are in my prayers each day as our move in date approaches!

• 3 weeks later...
TheresaThoma

Well one month left to go! 

Yikes! 

I still have to pack up my apartment and such and continue fundraising (I'm at just over 30% of my goal). It is starting to sink in that I will be doing this. On Tuesday I will start training my replacement at work, which I'm sure will make it more real.

Katherine, I'm so excited for you!! I hope the pre-aspirant retreat is filled with happy confirmations of your vocation.  

Im a little bummed that because of work, I have to put off going to a come & see retreat with a community I've been speaking with.   

I'll be up in LaCrosse on December 8th as Relevant Radio is honoring Cardinal Raymond Burke, our Cardinal Patronus (Order of Malta).  Maybe a cup of tea and a little conversation would be possible :) 

TheresaThoma

That would be wonderful. I don't know what the schedule will look like exactly but it would be fun!

• 2 weeks later...
TheresaThoma

Well two weeks and two days to go now. I still have done no packing what so ever. Fundraising is ok though I am not even at the halfway point yet. Please pray for me in these next two weeks! (also if you can help out at all with fundraising please let me know).

Well two weeks and two days to go now. I still have done no packing what so ever. Fundraising is ok though I am not even at the halfway point yet. Please pray for me in these next two weeks! (also if you can help out at all with fundraising please let me know).