An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmelite Hermits, Lake Elmo

CountrySteve21

Gabriela, the hermits have a sister community of discalced carmelite nuns in Lake Elmo.  However, the nuns have no website, only an address and phone. 

Discalced Carmelite Nuns /C
8251 De Montreville Trail North
Lake Elmo - MN 55042-9547
U.S.A.
(651) 7773882

Edited by Quasar

Gabriela, I don't know.  The easiest way to find out might be to ask the priest & brother community!  They provide spiritual direction to the nuns and I imagine they are very familiar with the spiritual practices of the nuns. 

CountrySteve, what a unique community of hermits.  They make beautiful icons and I'm enjoying looking through their online store. 

be_thou_my_vision

The sister community up there is extremely healthy. The nuns are wonderful people. Their monastery is very austere. There is so much life in that place. I highly recommend them.

The hermits are also a healthy bunch. They take really good care of the sisters. 

It's a little Carmelite haven there on DeMontreville Trail.

Chiquitunga

From what I have heard, they use Latin frequently, but most of the Office is in English.

4 hours ago, Gabriela said:

Do you know if the nuns use Latin (exclusively, or mostly) and chant in the Mass and Office?

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 0:46 PM, be_thou_my_vision said:

The sister community up there is extremely healthy. The nuns are wonderful people. Their monastery is very austere. There is so much life in that place. I highly recommend them.

The hermits are also a healthy bunch. They take really good care of the sisters. 

It's a little Carmelite haven there on DeMontreville Trail.

Bethou, how did you have occasion to meet the brothers and sisters?  Does either community allow visitors for prayer?

Btw, I'm especially pleased that the brothers sell a retablo of St. Edith Stein/ Teresa Benedicta.  I love her but icons of her are hard to find. 

Edited by Quasar

be_thou_my_vision
16 hours ago, Quasar said:

Bethou, how did you have occasion to meet the brothers and sisters?  Does either community allow visitors for prayer?

I met the Sisters when I was visiting a family member who was a member of the community. They do allow visitors for prayer in their public chapel. I believe it's open from 7:30am-4pm. If you ring the doorbell at the main entrance, the turn Sister will come and buzz you in. In that area they have rosaries and religious goods on display-- you can open the window and take what you want and leave the money in the turn. 

I have not personally met the brothers, but members of my family have. The family member in the community had more contact with them as they are the Sisters' spiritual directors and confessors. Both groups are very austere, yet balanced and down-to-earth.

The brothers have a larger gift shop, and I believe their chapel is open to the public for prayer as well.

• 2 years later...

Do you know how many sisters are in the nuns hermitage community in lake Elmo?   

I don’t ....that’s why I asked the question.  I know a person who might be interested in exploring a life with them.

be_thou_my_vision
5 hours ago, Kathleen said:

I don’t ....that’s why I asked the question.  I know a person who might be interested in exploring a life with them.

I don’t know how many sisters there are total, but there are a number of young sisters in formation.

God Bless!

On 5/24/2019 at 2:30 PM, Kathleen said:

The nuns are not hermits if that helps--they are Discalced (OCD). The men who live in the hermitage are OCarm. I think there are about 13 nuns in the community.