Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CountrySteve21

Carmelite Hermits, Lake Elmo

Recommended Posts

Quasar

Gabriela, the hermits have a sister community of discalced carmelite nuns in Lake Elmo.  However, the nuns have no website, only an address and phone. 

 

Discalced Carmelite Nuns /C
8251 De Montreville Trail North
Lake Elmo - MN 55042-9547
U.S.A.
(651) 7773882

Edited by Quasar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gabriela

Do you know if the nuns use Latin (exclusively, or mostly) and chant in the Mass and Office?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quasar

Gabriela, I don't know.  The easiest way to find out might be to ask the priest & brother community!  They provide spiritual direction to the nuns and I imagine they are very familiar with the spiritual practices of the nuns. 

CountrySteve, what a unique community of hermits.  They make beautiful icons and I'm enjoying looking through their online store. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
be_thou_my_vision

The sister community up there is extremely healthy. The nuns are wonderful people. Their monastery is very austere. There is so much life in that place. I highly recommend them.

The hermits are also a healthy bunch. They take really good care of the sisters. 

It's a little Carmelite haven there on DeMontreville Trail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chiquitunga

From what I have heard, they use Latin frequently, but most of the Office is in English.

4 hours ago, Gabriela said:

Do you know if the nuns use Latin (exclusively, or mostly) and chant in the Mass and Office?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quasar
On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 0:46 PM, be_thou_my_vision said:

The sister community up there is extremely healthy. The nuns are wonderful people. Their monastery is very austere. There is so much life in that place. I highly recommend them.

The hermits are also a healthy bunch. They take really good care of the sisters. 

It's a little Carmelite haven there on DeMontreville Trail.

Bethou, how did you have occasion to meet the brothers and sisters?  Does either community allow visitors for prayer?

Btw, I'm especially pleased that the brothers sell a retablo of St. Edith Stein/ Teresa Benedicta.  I love her but icons of her are hard to find. 

Edited by Quasar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
be_thou_my_vision
16 hours ago, Quasar said:

Bethou, how did you have occasion to meet the brothers and sisters?  Does either community allow visitors for prayer?

I met the Sisters when I was visiting a family member who was a member of the community. They do allow visitors for prayer in their public chapel. I believe it's open from 7:30am-4pm. If you ring the doorbell at the main entrance, the turn Sister will come and buzz you in. In that area they have rosaries and religious goods on display-- you can open the window and take what you want and leave the money in the turn. 

I have not personally met the brothers, but members of my family have. The family member in the community had more contact with them as they are the Sisters' spiritual directors and confessors. Both groups are very austere, yet balanced and down-to-earth.

The brothers have a larger gift shop, and I believe their chapel is open to the public for prayer as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kathleen

Do you know how many sisters are in the nuns hermitage community in lake Elmo?   

I don’t ....that’s why I asked the question.  I know a person who might be interested in exploring a life with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
be_thou_my_vision
5 hours ago, Kathleen said:

Do you know how many sisters are in the nuns hermitage community in lake Elmo?   

I don’t ....that’s why I asked the question.  I know a person who might be interested in exploring a life with them.

I don’t know how many sisters there are total, but there are a number of young sisters in formation.

God Bless!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NisiTe
On 5/24/2019 at 2:30 PM, Kathleen said:

Do you know how many sisters are in the nuns hermitage community in lake Elmo?   

I don’t ....that’s why I asked the question.  I know a person who might be interested in exploring a life with them.

The nuns are not hermits if that helps--they are Discalced (OCD). The men who live in the hermitage are OCarm. I think there are about 13 nuns in the community. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...