An Old School Catholic Message Board

Question about contraception

zabbazooey

If I were a Catholic...here is my situation

My husband and I had a surprise daughter last October. (greatest blessing ever). I have a serious form of two mental illnesses that require me to be on medications detrimental to the health of a fetus. (I had to go off several meds during my pregnancy, very hard) I had severe PPD and PP psychosis. My OB and psychiatrist have advised, seriously, to have no more children as it will be very negative effects on my health, not to mention the child. I was almost hospitalized for my bipolar this last January, it has not been easy.

Since then, I have been fitted with an IUD. Non hormonal. I really cannot run the risk of pregnancy, NFP is just too "risky" -- my mental health is in a precarious state at the moment anyways. Under heavy advisory from doctors, is it EVER permissible, as a Catholic, to use birth control of any kind? I am in danger of severe mental health crisis if I have another baby. I must stay on my meds.

Curious because I have been praying about coming back to church. Thanks.

I got very sick when pregnant. Life threateningly sick. Miscarriages saved my life. NFP does work. It's the only option for those who want to maintain the sacramental nature of their marriage and their relationship with God and his Church. 

Archaeology cat

As CatherineM said, NFP is the moral option, and does work. Believe it or not, I know women who have conceived with the IUD, so it isn't foolproof, either. I do understand the fear of pregnancy as you definitely have a serious reason to avoid, and I get that NFP smells of elderberries sometimes (I'm an NFP instructor). My advice would be to get a good instructor and find a method that really works for you. You might be interested in Marquette, which uses a hormone monitor to help pinpoint the fertile phase.