An Old School Catholic Message Board

Thoughts On Slavery

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

As far as I'm aware a nation that has mostly turned evil and hasn't repented in obedience to prophets call to repentance end invaded in some manner by an enemy, gods nations included if they turn from him as we see perhaps with all the young girls being stolen from the west and Europe to be sex slaves. If my information is correct iAd I could be entirely wrong or wrong on any particular point/s

god bless

• 2 weeks later...
ote:
And if you say the society at the time only had those two options, then who is to blame for that setup. These rules were all put into place by God to a people who had spent over 400 years as slaves. If you doubt that God was setting societal rules, read the speech which contains the rules for slave treatment which runs from Exouds 21:20-24, In it he tells his people what to do if one harms another, how to handle debts, and so forth.

God, someone who can see throughout time not only what has been and will be but what could ever possibly be. In it he can see various interactions between two people where one works for another, and so many of these interactions are good -- or at the very least not evil. Yet this infinitely wise God could not even fathom such a non-evil arrangement where people like your McDonald's co-worker could work for another outside of slavery.

I disagree due to that God can do almost anything. There is one thing He can not do which is the usual battle cry of those opposed to God......He can't make truly free willed beings "perfect" or "better" or guaranteed to not fail. The only way would be to have that lack that freedom.

So much as Jesus said of divorce "because of the hardness of your hearts" slavery was not what God "wanted" it was a thing that worked in a circumstance of people who didn't listen to begin with.

Ever tell someone to do something and they didn't listen? then things are kind of half messed up so you say "well just do that now" because the first thing is now impossible? I have worked with enough people in my life to have had this happen a bit frown.gif

Old Aug 2, '16, 12:12 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic

Default Re: thought about slavery

Human beings are not God. 
Human beings are subject to development. Understanding develops, virtue develops, modes of expression develop, language develops, cultural practices and sensitivities develop. 

The writers of scripture wrote in a given time and were subject to all the cultural peculiarities of that time. Since the writers of the OT wrote in that ancient context, it is not fruitful to rigidly interpret the OT with modern sensibilities. We need to understand the culture they were writing in, and not fit a square peg into a round hole.

God is unchanging. God was the same yesterday as he is today as he will be tomorrow. All time is present for him, so he cannot be cruel one moment and loving the next moment. There is not change in Him. 

Scripture seems to have inconsistencies because it is a collaboration between God and man.