An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can we please somehow get this guy elected president?

Seven77

5 hours ago, Archaeology cat said:

I like the American Solidarity Party

Me too. He should run under it.

What can we do to make Joe Schriner known?

Um, no thanks.

While he's solid on abortion and marriage issues, on most other things he appears to be a far-left big-gov guy, and I'd have to strongly disagree with most of his stated political positions.  (Sometimes he has laudable goals, but these would be best dealt with outside of the federal government.)

It looks like the guy means well, though (and in that respect is certainly better than our two "mainstream" party frontrunners).

If I were to go the protest vote route, I'd probably go with the Constitution Party.

2 hours ago, Socrates said:

Um, no thanks.

While he's solid on abortion and marriage issues, on most other things he appears to be a far-left big-gov guy, and I'd have to strongly disagree with most of his stated political positions.  (Sometimes he has laudable goals, but these would be best dealt with outside of the federal government.)

If this guy aligns with the American solidarity party I think he would be a perfect candidate, because he would also espouse the principle of subsidiarity.

There is nothing wrong with being "left" on certain issues-- might even be virtuous...

Edited by Seven77

Archaeology cat
15 hours ago, Seven77 said:

If this guy aligns with the American solidarity party I think he would be a perfect candidate, because he would also espouse the principle of subsidiarity.

There is nothing wrong with being "left" on certain issues-- might even be virtuous...

The ASP already has a candidate, though. I'd thought maybe they'd work together, but guess not as yet. 

On 7/28/2016 at 9:06 PM, Seven77 said:

Can't wait to see Socrates' response to that. 

On 7/29/2016 at 0:22 PM, Archaeology cat said:

The ASP already has a candidate, though. I'd thought maybe they'd work together, but guess not as yet. 

Just saw that the other day. I wasn't all that impressed with the ASP candidate. Joe Schriner seems better.

Archaeology cat
17 hours ago, Seven77 said:

Just saw that the other day. I wasn't all that impressed with the ASP candidate. Joe Schriner seems better.

agreed

Not sure exactly what kind of a response you're wanting or expecting.  I thought it would be pretty obvious and predictable what a constitutional conservative would think about a would-be gun-grabbing, amnesty-promoting leftist who advocates aggressive government interference in the market and private industry and agriculture (which, contrary to the rhetoric, would increase poverty, rather than relieve it), enforcement of even more draconian "environmental" regulations by federal bureaucracies like the EPA, government hand-outs based on skin color, etc., etc.

In short, I think most of his stated positions would be a disaster for our country and for constitutional rule of law.  I'm not sure why exactly I'm supposed to get excited at the idea of throwing away a vote on a big-government, statist "protest" candidate.  We already have two such candidates in our major party nominees.

I guess I'm supposed to be mightily impressed that someone used the word "subsidiarity." However, many of his policies would in practice be quite the opposite. If Mr. Schriner wants to ditch his big-gov statism, and get the federal government out of what it has no business doing, and leave all those things that are not enumerated powers of the federal government to the states and people, he  might deserve more consideration.  Until then, he and his ilk can shove it.

(That was supposed to be a response to this post:)

On 7/29/2016 at 8:51 PM, Amppax said:

Can't wait to see Socrates' response to that. 

I'm trying to find a third party candidate but so far they all seem like cranks. This Joe person has been running for prez forever on various tickets including the Green Party. The ASP platform is against selling alcohol. At this point I'm going to write in a name, probably my governor, John Kasich, who isn't perfect but who angers the right people on both the left and right. 

10 minutes ago, Maggyie said:

I'm trying to find a third party candidate but so far they all seem like cranks. This Joe person has been running for prez forever on various tickets including the Green Party. The ASP platform is against selling alcohol. At this point I'm going to write in a name, probably my governor, John Kasich, who isn't perfect but who angers the right people on both the left and right. 

Wait, really? Well, this changes things, perhaps I am politically homeless. 

Also, Socrates, you basically responded as expected, though I expected more condemnation of the idea that anything virtuous could come from what you deem "leftist."