An Old School Catholic Message Board

Another contraception related question...a bit adult?

zabbazooey

So, I have researched NFP a bit. My husband (in the past, anyways, haven't asked him recently) agreed to do NFP. However, what if my husband (non Catholic) does not want to follow the Catholic teaching about every sexual act being open to life? I don't want to go too much into detail, but I am sure you know what I mean. Am I in the wrong? Mortal sin? Do I have to abstain from sex completely? I probably should ask a priest, but I am not ready to jump the gun, I really want to research more before I go talking to priests, etc.

Thank you :)

We discussed this topic at length in bioethics. A lot of Phatmassers will disagree with me, but here is how I counsel people on the subject. For a female, whose husband has had a vasectomy or intends to use a condom, as long as you haven't participated in his decision, it isn't your sin. It's also helpful to keep in mind that condoms and vasectomies can fail therefore you can't know with 100% certainty that you aren't actually being open to life. 

For males whose wives are using the pill or have had their tubes tied, it works the same way. The only sterilization that is full proof is a hysterectomy and those are rarely done without a medical reason outside of simply to avoid pregnancy. Refusing to have sex is also refusing to take part in the unitive aspect of marriage that can many times lead a non-Catholic spouse towards entering the Church and accepting our teachings on being open to life. 

Marriage is hard. Marriage to a non-Catholic can make it harder. Try to be patient and understand that you're further along the path and it might take him longer to catch up so you can walk side by side.