An Old School Catholic Message Board

Martyrdom vs Suicide - the essential difference

Quasar

In the wake of the murder of the French priest, I have seen some debates regarding whether or not he is a martyr.  In the discussion of martyrdom, 2 criteria are mentioned:  the motivation for the killing must be hatred for the Faith, and the victim must have accepted death voluntarily.  This is a really cursory summary and good explanations contain far more detail. 

My question is, why is there no problem with the martyr accepting death willingly?  Doesn't the martyr have a duty to protect his or her own life, and to choose life?  Clearly there is a difference in motivation between someone who commits suicide and someone who becomes a martyr, but I wanted to see if anyone can articulate what it is. 

Edited by Quasar

LittleWaySoul

@Quasar, the major difference is that the martyr does not kill him/herself, but rather dies by another's hand for the sake of Christ. Usually this happens in situations where the martyr cannot escape except through sacrilege or apostasy. It's willingly accepted for Christ, but not willingly chosen, independently of other options. Or at least that's how I've always understood it.

They don't tend to go find death, it finds them. It depends what you imply by being willing. Most would either resist, fight or protest somehow and obviously wouldn't commit the act themselves. So the deed isn't at their hands. However, the degree of reasonableness is important. If you are surrounded or can't escape and will die regardless then there's nothing wrong with maintaining a detached dignity and defiance as you face the inevitable outcome that you will be murdered. The martyrs who sung hymns of praise or prayed aloud as they were walked to their place of death is an example of that I guess.  

8 hours ago, LittleWaySoul said:

It's willingly accepted for Christ, but not willingly chosen, independently of other options. 

Good point, LittleWaySoul, that's an important distinction. 

8 hours ago, Benedictus said:

They don't tend to go find death, it finds them. It depends what you imply by being willing. Most would either resist, fight or protest somehow and obviously wouldn't commit the act themselves. So the deed isn't at their hands. However, the degree of reasonableness is important. If you are surrounded or can't escape and will die regardless then there's nothing wrong with maintaining a detached dignity and defiance as you face the inevitable outcome that you will be murdered. The martyrs who sung hymns of praise or prayed aloud as they were walked to their place of death is an example of that I guess.  

This makes more sense to me than the explanation I read from Jimmy Aiken (no disrespect to him intended.)

• 1 month later...

Pretty much what has been said above is clear, not much more I can add to that. Huge difference between Father Stanley Rother (Martyr) not a saint yet, and Muslim Jihadists (self suicide/murderers while taking others with them) while claiming to be martyr's they are fake, they take the lives of others while taking their own, THIS IS NOT MARTYRDOM BUT SUICIDE. Real Martyrs dont take anyone with them AGAINST THEIR WILL, Real Martyrs' go voluntarily out of love of God, but dont take anyone else with them, unless their companions go with them according to their consent. Other people are controlling them and provide no other option of escaping unless you deny the faith, thus your attackers are the ones that end up killing you.

Father Rogher knew there was a chance he'd be targeted, but that doesn't mean he had clairvoyance that told him when and where it would happen exactly. When they came for him, he fought, not for his life, but he fought to avoid being taken. He didn't want to be tortured into telling where men were hiding, and he wanted his body to be found. His last words were, "kill me here."  Some might argue that he committed suicide. I understand what it's like to be in that moment of seeing your death but not wanting to go out the wrong way.