An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pro-Life Catholic's Deserve Better

Amppax

Nihil Obstat

I think it is a fair comparison. Obviously they are not identical, but both have adopted a very similar, very affected sort of persona which I think the article characterized relatively well.

They both have some good things to say, but obviously not all the time. It's often spoilt by the style and conduct.  The same could be said for many other columnists and professional 'factionistas' though who seem to have no hold on their mouth or fingers. I find it weird that they want to be taken seriously when they conduct themselves worse than any child is expected to behave. The words and phrases some use would have had me hiding myself from a scolding as a teen but these guys make money out of it :idontknow:

Edited by Benedictus

Our culture and discourse in general has been getting steadily more vulgar and obscene, and Catholics are not immune from the influence.  I've been myself to a certain extent.  As Christians, though, we should hold ourselves to higher standards, and the kind of talk quoted from Shea, Fisher, etc. is on many levels far from Christlike, and, frankly, shameful coming from those who purport to publicly represent and defend the Catholic Faith.

Leaving aside the whole issue of vulgar and obscene language, the shear contempt and hatred spewed by Shea and co. towards conservative Catholics is very un-Christian, disgusting, and slanderous.  Yes, it is slanderous, even if they don't mention individuals for the most part.  The comments of this people show zero regard for either charity or truth.

Maybe I'm biased, being exactly the sort of person Shea and his NCR colleagues love to hate (traditional, conservative, Cruz-voting, 2nd amendment-supporting, etc. Catholic), but I've known conservative, pro-life Catholics throughout my life, and while imperfect life everyone else, for the most part they are some of the best people and most sincere and serious Catholics out there.  I don't know anyone who orgasmically loves torture, or hates the poor, or any of the other ridiculous charges Shea and his buddies make.

Shea and co. are either blatant liars, or else they have drunk so deeply of the leftist Kool-Aid that they have literally lost their minds.

So much for liberal "love and tolerance."  Perhaps if conservative, pro-life and traditional Catholics were Islamic terrorists instead, they might get a little more love and understanding from the Catholic bleeding heart crowd.

Their hate for conservatives is particularly hypocritical, given their support for fanatically pro-abortion and immoral politicians such as Hillary Clinton (who said in a speech that religions opposed to abortion and contraception "need to change").  Shea comes off as a leftist political pundit thinly disguised as a "Catholic apologist," or whatever he calls himself, and any publication which takes its Catholic identity seriously should drop all three of the buffoons quoted in the article.  And comments by Shimek linked to in the article flat-out contradict the Church's teachings regarding homosexuality.

Particularly disgusting was the rejoicing in Trump's allegedly not being pro-life, because it give them another excuse to vote for Hillary.  Should Catholics be "thrilled" about anybody not being pro-life?  One can only imagine the reaction if a conservative Catholic blogger expressed delight in the pro-abortion positions of Obama or Clinton, because he thought it would help the GOP.

Pro-life Catholics indeed do deserve better than these pathetic leftist clowns.

• 1 month later...
On 8/6/2016 at 3:21 PM, Socrates said:

Our culture and discourse in general has been getting steadily more vulgar and obscene, and Catholics are not immune from the influence.  I've been myself to a certain extent.  As Christians, though, we should hold ourselves to higher standards, and the kind of talk quoted from Shea, Fisher, etc. is on many levels far from Christlike, and, frankly, shameful coming from those who purport to publicly represent and defend the Catholic Faith.

Leaving aside the whole issue of vulgar and obscene language, the shear contempt and hatred spewed by Shea and co. towards conservative Catholics is very un-Christian, disgusting, and slanderous.  Yes, it is slanderous, even if they don't mention individuals for the most part.  The comments of this people show zero regard for either charity or truth.

Maybe I'm biased, being exactly the sort of person Shea and his NCR colleagues love to hate (traditional, conservative, Cruz-voting, 2nd amendment-supporting, etc. Catholic), but I've known conservative, pro-life Catholics throughout my life, and while imperfect life everyone else, for the most part they are some of the best people and most sincere and serious Catholics out there.  I don't know anyone who orgasmically loves torture, or hates the poor, or any of the other ridiculous charges Shea and his buddies make.

Shea and co. are either blatant liars, or else they have drunk so deeply of the leftist Kool-Aid that they have literally lost their minds.

So much for liberal "love and tolerance."  Perhaps if conservative, pro-life and traditional Catholics were Islamic terrorists instead, they might get a little more love and understanding from the Catholic bleeding heart crowd.

Their hate for conservatives is particularly hypocritical, given their support for fanatically pro-abortion and immoral politicians such as Hillary Clinton (who said in a speech that religions opposed to abortion and contraception "need to change").  Shea comes off as a leftist political pundit thinly disguised as a "Catholic apologist," or whatever he calls himself, and any publication which takes its Catholic identity seriously should drop all three of the buffoons quoted in the article.  And comments by Shimek linked to in the article flat-out contradict the Church's teachings regarding homosexuality.

Particularly disgusting was the rejoicing in Trump's allegedly not being pro-life, because it give them another excuse to vote for Hillary.  Should Catholics be "thrilled" about anybody not being pro-life?  One can only imagine the reaction if a conservative Catholic blogger expressed delight in the pro-abortion positions of Obama or Clinton, because he thought it would help the GOP.

Pro-life Catholics indeed do deserve better than these pathetic leftist clowns.

Why so political? It's not about being left or right... it's about being charitable, decent, respectable, etc.. Both left and right can be uncharitable… I've seen it.

I think that the way that we put things is so crucial for winning people over to the Truth. 

5 hours ago, Seven77 said:

Why so political? It's not about being left or right... it's about being charitable, decent, respectable, etc.. Both left and right can be uncharitable… I've seen it.

I think that the way that we put things is so crucial for winning people over to the Truth. 

Why so political?  Ask Mark Shea or Simcha Fisher.  From what I've read, it looks like much of their nastiness was directly related to their politics, and it seems they turned their religious "Catholic" blogs into a heavily politicized left-wing conservative-bashing fest.

While I find their politics disgusting in themselves, their lack of regard for charity, decency, or truth is unacceptable for Christian discourse, regardless of one's political views.  Definitely a case of politics poisoning, and being put ahead of, Faith.