An Old School Catholic Message Board

If you're discerning to be a sister, were you an altar server?

DameAgnes

truthfinder

I was an altar server when I was younger and started to think about religious life. BUT, I think it helped sustain the interest in the reality that there wasn't much more available to girls at the time.  The  children's choir was  childish, and there was no way to help in the sacristy - that being the domain of the elderly women. What really piqued my interest in religious life was doing saints reports and reports on religious communities, visit by monks, the presence of a couple of old sisters in the parish, and a visit to a convent with my confirmation class.  I went to Catholic schools which were faithful. Although I enjoyed serving and it maintained my interest, I also fear that my presence did actually scare away a boy or two that may have gone on to the seminary given a few more years rather than feel pushed out by the presence of the girls. 

DominicanHeart

I was one too. And I want to be a Sister. I thought our outfits were cute. We were the Adorers of the Precious Blood. But now I have a better understanding of why boys belong up there 

Sponsa-Christi

I wasn't an altar server when I was young, but even though I can appreciate the potential benefits of having all-boy altar server (like being a means to foster vocations to the priesthood), I don't actually have a problem with girl altar servers in principle. After all, it is something the Church explicitly allows. And if having girl altar servers serves an as opportunity for some girls to come to a deeper appreciation of the liturgy, than so much the better! 

Ultimately, I think the question of whether or not to have all-boy altar serves depends on the specific pastoral situation in a particular parish. If a parish has only boy altar servers and this results in healthy male camaraderie and vocations to the priesthood, great! The parish should keep doing what it's doing. If a parish has co-ed altar servers who work well together and who go on to become committed adult Catholics who love the Mass, then there's no reason to suddenly ban girl altar servers just because it might theoretically be better to have all boys. 

5 hours ago, truthfinder said:

Although I enjoyed serving and it maintained my interest, I also fear that my presence did actually scare away a boy or two that may have gone on to the seminary given a few more years rather than feel pushed out by the presence of the girls. 

If a boy is so put off by the presence of girl altar servers that he decides not to enter the seminary because of the girls, I'm not sure he would have had a strong vocation to the priesthood anyway. I can see where an all-boy altar server corps might have been instrumental in encouraging a boy to start considering the priesthood in the first place. But if the mere presence of girls in the liturgy was a total deal-breaker in a young man's vocation, then I question whether he would do well in the priesthood. Priests do have to be comfortable working with women, and be able to relate to them in a healthy way. 

truthfinder
22 minutes ago, Sponsa-Christi said:

If a boy is so put off by the presence of girl altar servers that he decides not to enter theBut if the mere presence of girls in the liturgy was a total deal-breaker in a young man's vocation, then I question whether he would do well in the priesthood. Priests do have to be comfortable working with women, and be able to relate to them in a healthy way. 

Oh definitely, and I've met a couple seminarians who have acted as if all women are out to destroy their vocation. But I'm talking 7-10 year old boys. It can be just enough for them to decide they don't like serving or church. 

NadaTeTurbe

Yes, I'm discerning to be a sister, and being an altar server played a BIG part in it, the biggest. In fact, I would not have listen to the call without it. First, as the child of atheist parents, if I hadn't been an altar server, I would not have go to mass every sunday. My parents felt compeled to drive me to mass, since I had to serve. Also, while m parents are great, I learned that I could not do a lot of things since I am a girl : I could not run, I could not go playing with the boys but had to help at the kitchen... I felt more free at church. I learned a lot, and I discovered that I liked serving the church. I'm still an altar server, in fact, I'm the head of this little group, and I'm also kind of "responsible" for the liturgy during special mass. I also schedule ornaments washing. 

It have been hard, however. Five years ago, we had a new parish priest. He was very nice, but did not want girls to be altar server. However, he was always nice to us, and we liked him very much. After a time, he decided to keep us. 
Two years ago (already !), we had another new priest. He's here to help the parish priest; He's the "shepherd" of the next-door religious communities. I know him. The next-door religious community have A LOT of problem, I was close to them, before. I know this priest (father M.) is still speaking good about their founder (a pedophile, rapist, liar, who is condemned by the church). Anyway. Father M. doesn't want girl as altar server. In fact, the first time he came to church, he came to see me (he know me), saying "I don't want you as altar server". The other parish priest want us, so he can't fire us, but since then, he's making our life impossible, to the point that most of the teenage girls and boys have left altar serving. He's always rude. Sometimes, he hides objects so we can't find them, and then he scolds us for not finding them. It's hard. I think our other parish priest doesn't like him and how he acts with us - but our parish priest is very very shy, and not very charismatic, he would never speak against father M.. I wanted to left the altar and my parish because of him (there are many, many, many other problems with him), but I decided not too. I'm telling myself that, as a sister, I want to serve the church. It's easy to serve the church when it's convenient, but I want to serve the church even when it's not. A few month ago, I was really hurted because of father M - again -, when we had the bishop at our parish. At the end of the mass, he went to see me, and told me he saw me various time serving, and that I did it well, and that the children obviously liked serving, so I must keep doing it. I really think it was the Holy Spirit who made it saying it to encourage myself to keep serving the altar and the church. 

Kayte Postle

I am discerning and was not an altar server, mostly because I wasn't catholic. While I understand the view point of wanting only boys for altar servers, I also think that girls should have the opportunities to assist in the mass (as altar servers or something like sacrasten). I honestly don't know where I stand on the subject.

What I do know is that being involved in church activities, especially active ministry of some kind really did help me discern my call. I was involved in serving on a retreat experience (several times) and that time spent serving the church opened my heart to wanting to serve the church full-time. I think both girls and boys need ample opportunity to be involved in the liturgy and other ministries of the Church.

Spem in alium

I was an altar server for almost ten years, serving in three parishes. I began altar serving at 8 years old, pretty much straight after I received Holy Communion for the first time. I remember as a very young server actually wishing I could be a priest, because I loved what the priest did during Holy Mass (even though I didn't always understand). It didn't really inspire or motivate me to think about religious life, though - that happened later. 

I actually served a funeral a couple of weeks ago (after several years of not serving). I was again reminded of why I love serving the altar during Holy Mass.

Edited by Spem in alium

DominicanHeart

There's other opportunities for girls to assist at Mass, choir, lectoring etc. We do have a female Sacristan as well. She does a great job. 

Also I should mention that my being an Altar Server did start my thinking of Religious Life. I got really close to my former Pastor when I started serving. He would always ask me when I was going to be a Sister. And there was another elderly Priest who has passed away but would call the girls Sister all the time.

Ceaseless-Longing

I was never an altar server, mostly because the idea of being up in front of everyone at Mass really freaked me out. It just wasn't my skill set, and I was active in other ways at the church. During my undergrad, I did serve as an EM because they were always struggling to find EMs, and I thought it would be an honor to help someone receive Jesus.

My home parish definitely leans traditional, but they allow female altar servers except for Easter and Christmas. They arrange for high school or college male students to serve those Masses. There are some families who are unwilling to let their daughters serve so our permanent deacon came up with the idea to start an Altar Guild for girls not allowed to serve. They help prepare vestments for Mass, take field trips to see what sacristies are like at cathedrals, meet religious sisters who make items needed for Mass, and are given responsibilities. Girls who are allowed to be altar servers are also welcome to be in the altar guild, but again, it was really formed as a way to let young girls get involved with preparing the altar who couldn't serve. I thought this was a very clever idea.

Sister Leticia
22 hours ago, Quasar said:

I was an altar server in my church of origin, which probably doesn't count!

On the contrary, I'd say it's all part of your journey, and your search for God and God's search for you...

1 hour ago, Sister Leticia said:

On the contrary, I'd say it's all part of your journey, and your search for God and God's search for you...

I like that! :)

• 5 months later...

Because I was an altar server, I got to experience something absolutely amazing. I got to assist at a Confirmation Mass at my parish when now Bishop Emeritus Slattery came. I remember being in the sacristy before Mass with the other servers. We were all huddled in the corner, trying to get out of the way of the numerous deacons, priests, and other adults so they could do their jobs. We were all so excited (and very nervous) to be serving with the bishop. I remember he walked in with his gentle, kind smile and said hello to all the adults in the room. He was carrying the case for his crosier. He set it down and then turned to us servers. He smiled and beckoned us over.

"Hi, my name is Bishop Slattery." He said. "Now, I'm not very mechanically inclined, so could all of you help me put my crosier together?" Now, he'd been bishop for about twenty years at that point. He probably could have put it together blindfolded, but he understood that we needed to see him as a normal man to calm our nerves. He asked us all our names and made sure to thank all of us after Mass with a blessing just for us. That day I didn't just see Bishop Slattery, I got to see why he became a bishop. I got to see Father Slattery, a wonderful pastor and a truly holy spiritual father.

I'll never forget my ten years as an altar server, nor do I want to. I made lasting, Catholic friendships, learned the Mass better than any R.E. class could ever teach me, and I received so many blessings. Yes, I see the wisdom of having male servers, and I encourage boys to at least try it every chance I get, but I don't think its right to deny girls those same blessings. Each parish has its own unique situation that must be taken into account. However, I got to make friendships with the priests in my diocese through serving. Many of them I look up to as older brothers or uncles. As an only child this is something I never expected to have.

So maybe female altar servers aren't traditional, and there are times and places where it is more appropriate to have only males serving, but I don't know if I would have been as open to my calling if I hadn't served.