An Old School Catholic Message Board

If you're discerning to be a sister, were you an altar server?

DameAgnes

I never helped at Mass as an altar server, but I started doing readings in my early teens and helping with the sacristy when I was 15-16 years old, and then joined the choir... Now I long for attending Mass from the last pew, for a Sunday at least!

However, I don't think anything of that played a major role in prompting my discernment of religious life. It was when I met young, strong willed, hardworking sisters who had a strong community life that I first thought of religious life as an actual possibility for my life. Praying the LOTH in community attracts me, but mainly in the aspect of joining others to sing to a voice the "song of the bride" (so to speak) which I link more with participating in Mass from the pew that with serving at the altar (I'm just stating how I feel it, I'm not making a judgement).

I was never an altar server. I don't think it would have made any difference in my discernment, since I was able to participate in Mass from the pew just fine. What did make a difference was a priest who was an extremely close friend of my family.