An Old School Catholic Message Board

guns v murder rate

dairygirl4u2c

guns v murder rate  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Would it make you feel any better, little girl, if they was pushed out of windows?

Archie Bunker

:smile2:

If you have aspirin in your bathroom - are you more likely to have a headache?

bans on guns do work no matter what people claim.  look at japan.  it is one of the strictest countries in the world for gun control and their gun deaths are nothing compared to ours.  even most criminals won't use guns due to how severe the punishment is for even having a gun without a license.  i mean if you fire a gun you have illegally you could get life in prison.  i mean you know the laws are strict when the yakuza (the crime element in japan) are afraid to use guns for their killings. to get a gun over their is an extreme amount of work and you need to  pass so many checks.

so for anyone who says gun control will not work because the criminals will get guns anyway, just look at japan.  the criminals are afraid to use the guns.  now you could argue gun deaths are worth it to have the right to bear arms but you cant claim stricter gun laws would not drastically reduce the number of gun deaths in america.

2 hours ago, havok579257 said:

(snip)...i mean if you fire a gun you have illegally you could get life in prison.  i mean you know the laws are strict when the yakuza (the crime element in japan) are afraid to use guns for their killings. ... (snip)

(snip)

So what methods do they use?  Throw people out of windows?

Is Japan considering banning windows now?

40 minutes ago, Didacus said:

So what methods do they use?  Throw people out of windows?

Is Japan considering banning windows now?

the criminals?  knives and swords?  so your rationale is since we can't stop all murders using anything for a weapon, why try to stop any.  should we have the same mindset for abortion?  since we can't stop all abortions in this country why even try changing the laws?

please don't try to argue someone can commit mass murder with a knife comparable to a gun.  do you really believe the vegas or texas church shootings would have happened if the criminals only had a knife?  would they even have attempted it?  or that your more likely to die from from someone attacking you with a knife compared to a gun.

Edited by havok579257

16 hours ago, havok579257 said:

please don't try to argue someone can commit mass murder with a knife comparable to a gun

The Oklahoma City bombing did not involve a gun.   Timothy McVeigh and his brother Terry Nichols, killed 168 people, injured more than 680 others, and destroyed one-third of the building

2011.jpg

3 hours ago, little2add said:

The Oklahoma City bombing did not involve a gun.   Timothy McVeigh and his brother Terry Nichols, killed 168 people, injured more than 680 others, and destroyed one-third of the building

2011.jpg

So is your point that because someone could make a bomb that could kill people we should do nothing about gun deaths?  

Also you comparing an incident that killed so many but happens so rarely to gun deaths which happen every single day.

The fact is, at the end of the day so many innocent people are killed in gun related deaths such as stray blet's from drive bys or accidental deaths of children because people left rhein gun out or heat of the moment gun deaths because someone got mad and pulled the trigger.  Something needs to be done about gun deaths in this country.  I can't imagine any good Catholic saying nothing needs to be done about all these gun deaths that do not involve self defense.  Although people who refuse any gun restrictions don't seem to have a solution to reduce innocents killed by guns.

18 minutes ago, little2add said:

22366382_848720615297629_360059209220244

I don't advocate taking away peoples guns.  I propose way stricter gun laws to get a gun and way stricter punishments for gun deaths.  Something similar to Japan for gun owners. 

You must show that you know how to use a gun. You must have a real thorough background check.  You must have a psych evaluation. You must renew your gun license every 2 years.  All guns must be registared.   If you don't comply you lose your license and have to wait a number of years to reapply.   Also having a gun illegally carries a harsh punishment of jail time.  Even firing of a gun without a license or a legal gun warrants jail time.  Making the penalties severe enough people won't want to use guns illegally. 

I am all for people having guns but I am not for incompetent people or people with mental health issues or crimin also having guns.  What I don't understand is why something like this is so taboo to gun rights advocates. Unfettered access to guns is not the solution unless you are the Nra or gun manufactures. 

2 hours ago, havok579257 said:

people with mental health issues

let law abiding citizens defend themselves as they see fix, with firearms but there should be age limits.   You have to pass a drivers test before getting behind a wheel, you have to be sober, etc. 

Mental illness is the crux of the matter  in most if not all of the recent mass killings.  

There should be drug testing before be allowed a carry firearms, too.  Such requirements are long overdue.  

Dec 4, 2017

WASHINGTON— Federal authorities sought to take back guns from thousands of people the background check system should have blocked from buying weapons because they had criminal records, mental health issues or other problems that would disqualify them. 

A USA TODAY review found that the FBI issued more than 4,000 requests last year for agents from the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives to retrieve guns from prohibited buyers.

• 2 weeks later...

i didnt add it before, but if anyone is paying attention to the intitial debate in this thread, another factoid is that while guns and gone up and murders down over the last decades, the number of people owning guns has also went down. that is more indicative of a number that is more readily transferrable to mroe deaths than the number of guns out there, cause people having more than one gun is hardly going to change the death rate. 

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...