An Old School Catholic Message Board

"Liturgical Movement"?!?!

TheLordsSouljah

TheLordsSouljah

Okay so here in Australia, it's the feast of St Mary of the Cross McKillop. Yay! Praise God for His saints.

Mum is co-organising the music with the Catholic primary school that is adjoined to the parish. All good music for a children's Mass (whatever that is).

Anyway, the school has just said they want to do a 'Liturgical movement' to welcome in the Gospel. I believe it is where the students bring in the Gospel at the alleluia, however, singing Amy Grant's Thy Word, with the students 'moving' to the song, flanking the procession to the sanctuary.

If it's anything like what I saw them do about five years ago, the students will all be wearing colourful, rag-type clothes and dance around with ribbons attached to sticks.

Now I know we all (or at least most of us) probably would involuntarily vomit at even the thought of 'liturgical dance', so excuse the stupid question, but would this not be classed as what we know as, 'liturgical dance' under the even more nice, flowery, diluted, politically-correct name of 'liturgical movement', whatever the heck that is?

I don't know, this is kinda a cross between a rant and a cry, but is there something in the catechism about boundaries around 'dancing' and 'movement' during the Holy Sacrifice? I mean, no one would cancel or change having this dance even if the catechism said so (daresay, I don't think the PP would care either), but just wondering, for a personal note, if there is anything explicit in the CCC on it.

Thanks Pham :)

:yellowcard::mad::nono::beg:

TheLordsSouljah
38 minutes ago, Nihil Obstat said:

Yes, absolutely that is simply liturgical dance.

Anything in the catechism on it?

<3 PopeFrancis
7 hours ago, TheLordsSouljah said:

'moving' to the song, flanking the procession to the sanctuary.

our small village has three churches.  I had been trying to have a dialogue with the support of our then pastor.  Our new pastor continued it until we started an interfaith dialogue.  

One church has a woman pastor and the other has a Catholic turned whatever that other church is maybe Methodist pastor.  

We had an interfaith service at different churches at different times with the intention of coming together in the name of Jesus. The one in our church had the children flanking sticks with ribbons moving to God is an amesome God'  I found it unsettling.

Needless to say, the coming together in the Name of Jesus didn't really take after about two years.

The woman pastor's church is closed.  The other church is going as it was.  However, I have a certain respect for the church as a percentage of the village that do go to church, go there.  It is from historic times and they actually have a tunnel somewhere under their altar where the Underground Railroad stopped through.  Historically, interesting but it doesn't work.  I don't think my pastor really liked it, though, he was very welcoming and pleasant to them.  He had our Diocesan Deacon who is from our village go to the services in the other churches.  I don't think the priest is allowed to go into other churches as his Office of priest in any form of representation. He leans toward the old church and would gladly welcome old Rites.

If there is a 'Liturgical Movement' in the church, it should be towards the way the Church was Liturgically.  The debate is whether the Liturgy is more efficacious before or now.  It seems in today's Liturgy, the faithful struggle more to obtain the grace. Personally, I find the previous Liturgy more reverent to God.

Another version of Sesame Streeting the Mass to get children "into" the Mass. Here's an idea. Why not present the Liturgy in full accordance with the GIRM:o  They might surprise you. 

LittleWaySoul

I'm a bit bemused at how they tried to get around the wrongness of liturgical dance by calling it liturgical movement. Lol, hello relativistic nominalism. 

TheLordsSouljah
10 hours ago, LittleWaySoul said:

I'm a bit bemused at how they tried to get around the wrongness of liturgical dance by calling it liturgical movement. Lol, hello relativistic nominalism. 

Yeah, I know, right... Frankly, I'm sick and tired of it... As if the children can't perceive the little that we can unless we water it down to nothing but a trivial play with nice, sweet, kind words, where you don't have to kneel cause 'you're to young for that'. Grrr!