An Old School Catholic Message Board

Stranger Things

HopefulHeart

LittleWaySoul

I've been hearing great things, but I'm hesitant to watch because it seems a bit creepy. How accurate is this assessment?

Nihil Obstat
2 hours ago, LittleWaySoul said:

I've been hearing great things, but I'm hesitant to watch because it seems a bit creepy. How accurate is this assessment?

It is creepy. Think creepy like an old school monster movie. Or like the film Halloween. Not Exorcist creepy.

LittleWaySoul
6 hours ago, Nihil Obstat said:

It is creepy. Think creepy like an old school monster movie. Or like the film Halloween. Not Exorcist creepy.

I haven't seen those, but that's good to hear-- I have difficulty with demons-creepy. Maybe I'll check it out someday or watch with a friend!

Nihil Obstat

The way I would describe it is as being very much a mix of Stand By Me, E.T., The Goonies, and The Thing. And that feeling of being a combination of those films is quite intentional.

LittleWaySoul
2 hours ago, Nihil Obstat said:

The way I would describe it is as being very much a mix of Stand By Me, E.T., The Goonies, and The Thing. And that feeling of being a combination of those films is quite intentional.

Huh. I might check it out, see how it goes! Like I said, I've seen pretty unanimous approval of this show across the board. 

<3 PopeFrancis

Has anyone watched American Horror Stories  I watch a couple when I go to a friend's.  No way I'd watch it alone.  Sometimes these kind of movies that are creepy when your alone are hilarious when you are with friends and vice versa.

Can any give me the brief premise of what Stranger Things is about? I've heard so many people talking about it but I don't have a clue what it's about

LittleWaySoul
1 hour ago, truthfinder said:

Can any give me the brief premise of what Stranger Things is about? I've heard so many people talking about it but I don't have a clue what it's about

The trailers do a good job of giving a premise without spoiling it (IMHO), but essentially it's a love letter of sorts to 80s horror movies. Here's my attempt at an intro premise:

A boy named Will goes missing in a small town and a morher's frantic search for him takes a turn no one could have expected. The boy's friends find a strange girl in the woods. Is she tied to Will's disappearance? 

It's more sci-fi/monster-horror than demon/serial-killer horror, so I think that's why it was a tolerable level of scariness for me. It's definitely creepy, but the story and acting are excellent. I loved all of the characters. 

Creepier trailer:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XWxyRG_tckY

Dramatic trailer:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b9EkMc79ZSU

Maximilianus

I started watching it because of this thread.  2 episodes in. I would give it a 4 out of 10 in the creepy/scary factor. 7 out of 10 in nostalgia factor.