An Old School Catholic Message Board

Question About Contacting Orders

Amppax

MiserereMeiDeus
31 minutes ago, Amppax said:

Well, I've been fairly discouraged with all of this lately. I haven't made much progress on my application (partially due to laziness, partially due to a very busy schedule). Additionally, I had a conversation with a friend who is currently a seminarian, and in the course of it, he inadvertently strengthened some of my fears about all of this. So pray that I can still persevere through this anxiety and discouragement, and finish the application process anyway. Otherwise, I'll just be stuck in an endless loop of frustration and anxiety, which is no fun. 

I'm praying for you. You must be so thankful though that you have this opportunity to apply. Think of that through it all also. It's been said, and I've heard it from others, that when times are difficult and we tend to think of the negative to think of all that we have to be thankful for. So I guess the key word would be gratitude. This really does help; I'm sure you know. It does help to be reminded though sometimes. Pray for me too? I'm discerning a vocation to consecrated virginity and my next step now will be to set up a meeting with my Bishop through my diocese vocations director. I'll also have an application to become a candidate. Thank you!

All I can say is pray to the Holy Spirit for light, direction, and strength.  Go in the direction where you feel the most peace, joy, and zeal for serving God and others. 

dominicansoul

Amppax,

Do you have a spiritual director?  I just want to point one thing.  When I was discerning, nothing could bring me down.  I know we are all different and unique...but i was excited throughout my discernment.  I never felt like giving up because of a few hurdles (and there were many.)  Just the thought of finding my community and entering kept me on cloud nine.  

If you are feeling a bit discouraged and feeling anxiety and worry...perhaps the priesthood isn't your vocation?  I'm not the one to call this out, though, you would definitely need a spiritual director.  I just wanted to mention this, because sometimes we do fall in love with the idea of something when it's not really for us.  Like Vee mentions above, talk to the Holy Spirit, He will guide you where you can best serve Him.  And that will be a place where you feel peace.  You won't be free of trouble, but even in trouble, you will feel at peace.  That's when you know that is where you belong.

Little Flower
12 hours ago, dominicansoul said:

Amppax,

Do you have a spiritual director?  I just want to point one thing.  When I was discerning, nothing could bring me down.  I know we are all different and unique...but i was excited throughout my discernment.  I never felt like giving up because of a few hurdles (and there were many.)  Just the thought of finding my community and entering kept me on cloud nine.  

If you are feeling a bit discouraged and feeling anxiety and worry...perhaps the priesthood isn't your vocation?  I'm not the one to call this out, though, you would definitely need a spiritual director.  I just wanted to mention this, because sometimes we do fall in love with the idea of something when it's not really for us.  Like Vee mentions above, talk to the Holy Spirit, He will guide you where you can best serve Him.  And that will be a place where you feel peace.  You won't be free of trouble, but even in trouble, you will feel at peace.  That's when you know that is where you belong.

Just to give a slightly different perspective, I can really relate to Amppax with all the worry, fear, and doubt. I have really struggled with this in my discernment, and now that I am entering in a few months, the fear especially. Certainty of my vocation is something God has chosen not to give me. I have come to realize that, like all things, God has a purpose for this. First of all, it forces me to trust him in a more real way, that despite my lack of certainty and all my fear, that God has a plan for me, a reason for leading me the way he is. Secondly, being uncertain makes me turn to God in prayer in a way I don't think I'd have to if I just "knew", if I was on cloud nine. 

I really don't think fear and doubt are things that should stop you from seriously discerning your vocation. I definitely second the recommendation for a spiritual director though :)

dominicansoul
1 hour ago, Little Flower said:

Just to give a slightly different perspective, I can really relate to Amppax with all the worry, fear, and doubt. I have really struggled with this in my discernment, and now that I am entering in a few months, the fear especially. Certainty of my vocation is something God has chosen not to give me. I have come to realize that, like all things, God has a purpose for this. First of all, it forces me to trust him in a more real way, that despite my lack of certainty and all my fear, that God has a plan for me, a reason for leading me the way he is. Secondly, being uncertain makes me turn to God in prayer in a way I don't think I'd have to if I just "knew", if I was on cloud nine. 

I really don't think fear and doubt are things that should stop you from seriously discerning your vocation. I definitely second the recommendation for a spiritual director though :)

I lived with some Franciscans for about 6 months.  In that entire time I was anxious, prone to panic attacks and worry.  

It took another sister from another community to wake me up to the fact that THAT is not what religious life feels like.  lol.  

But like I said, I certainly am NOT the one to tell Amppax he doesn't have a vocation!  I just wanted to point out that where you are, and where you are hoping to go, you should feel SOME peace and happiness.  

I appreciate it DS. I don't, currently, have a spiritual director, though there are several priests who I've been able to talk to, most notably my vocations director. So I'm not completely without guidance. There are also several people who know me very well who've been able to give some good advice. At this point, I need to persevere and finish the application, because otherwise I'll just be stuck with these anxieties. The only way for me to deal with them is to finish the application, then I'll know.