An Old School Catholic Message Board

Weight problems and religious life

AveMariaPurissima

AveMariaPurissima

In a recent thread, someone brought up the question about whether being overweight/having a weight problem would be an issue in discerning religious life.  I think it's a good topic that deserves discussion in its own thread. :) 

We've talked about this a couple times before: Fellow Discerner Reports and Can (or Would) An Order Refuse You If...

I would hope that weight would be looked at in the context of the whole person and their overall health.  It is possible to be "normal weight" and still very unhealthy, and overweight and still eat a normal diet.  Everyone's metabolism varies.  One sister told me that she never ate as much as when she was a postulant, and never lost so much weight as when she was a postulant.  I can definitely see though how being overweight by affect one's ability to fully participate in active apostolates.

Ceaseless-Longing

Weight for anyone is generally a very personal topic, and I would imagine that it would be the responsibility of the individual to look after their health. Some communities now require exercise (the TOR Sisters in Ohio require 30 minutes of activity, 3 times a week) and make equipment available for members. The order I'm discerning with said that we know our bodies the best, so we know how to take care of them the best.

Losing weight can definitely be an issue. For example, a community might decide that a woman's unhealthy weight loss from dietary issues/health complications isn't compatible with the amount of fasting a community does. It wouldn't be healthy for her to stay.

dominicansoul

If the Sisters have a good regimen of healthy eating and exercise, you will be surprised at how much weight you will lose without even "trying."  

I was a bit overweight when I first entered, and wound up losing 40 lbs in one and a half years!  

What is surprising about religious life is that the Lord is not only forming you in your spiritual health, but your physical and mental health as well.  He's forming you into the consecrated dynamo he has called you to be...

CountrySteve21

I'd imagine its nothing too worry about too much per say (as long as one could observe the community's horarium of course). There is a man named Rick Curry, he is a Jesuit Brother and has only one arm (and that didn't stop him!) 

Sadly, Fr. Rick Curry SJ died during the past year.  A long-time Jesuit Brother, he was ordained about six or seven years before his death.  His Ordination was an event of such joy.  Actually, so was his liturgy of Resurrection.  His ministries, including "The Dogtag Bakery," which assists Vets in learning how to run a business, were creative and far-reaching, as was his pastoral heart.

I heard through the grapevine from a source I consider reliable about a new community that would refuse overweight women because the foundress thought the witness of the habit was so important and an overweight woman wouldn't look good in the habit so that would compromise the witness.

I think I speak for us all that if you hear something like that you should run like the wind and not look back.  But I also think that's rare.  I have heard of someone else who had significant weight problems and that was not a bar to entrance but after he was in the community they wanted him to work with a nutritionist to address his health concerns, including but not limited to his weight.

I would just like to remark that, while it would not surprise me in the least, that communities with a large number of elderly sisters who need special diets, have sent a sister to be instructed in dietetics, I think it is also true that the diet in many communities, if they are dependent on donated foods, or have a tight budget, and are largely (or entirely) vegetarian, are liable to be heavy on carbohydrates because they are cheap, satisfying, and free from animal protein.  This is not good for weight reduction, unless planned by a professional.

7 hours ago, krissylou said:

I heard through the grapevine from a source I consider reliable about a new community that would refuse overweight women because the foundress thought the witness of the habit was so important and an overweight woman wouldn't look good in the habit so that would compromise the witness.

:twitch:

6 hours ago, Antigonos said:

I think it is also true that the diet in many communities, if they are dependent on donated foods, or have a tight budget, and are largely (or entirely) vegetarian, are liable to be heavy on carbohydrates because they are cheap, satisfying, and free from animal protein.  This is not good for weight reduction, unless planned by a professional.

That's my experience in some communities. And it is so very bad for health, energy levels, sleep... you name it.

Edited by Gabriela

CountrySteve21
17 hours ago, McM RSCJ said:

Sadly, Fr. Rick Curry SJ died during the past year.  A long-time Jesuit Brother, he was ordained about six or seven years before his death.  His Ordination was an event of such joy.  Actually, so was his liturgy of Resurrection.  His ministries, including "The Dogtag Bakery," which assists Vets in learning how to run a business, were creative and far-reaching, as was his pastoral heart.

requiem aeternam. He has a wonderful bread cookbook by the way  (eating bread helps with weight of course ;)).

Edited by CountrySteve21

AveMariaPurissima

Of course serious health problems should be addressed, but I think that moderate weight issues are a personal matter and should be kept private and if necessary, addressed with compassion.  Unfortunately, this was not my experience in my former community.  I was overweight when I entered, but except for one odd, one-off comment, nothing was said to me about this before I entered.  Shortly after I entered, my Sister-in-charge pulled me aside, told me I was overweight, and that I was now on a diet.  Everyone knew who was "on a diet" as well as who needed to gain weight.  Being overweight was considered something humorous.  I have a lot of painful memories about all this.

On 16/08/2016 at 4:58 PM, krissylou said:

I witenessed the same thing in the community next to me. People who are consecrated are supposed to be "handsome" and to show "God's beauty", so no overweight people or people with scars, etc... It was more or less implicit that true christian were supposed to be beautiful. Of course, this is a BIG BIG red flag. Run away. 

AMP, I'm so sorry this happened to you :( Prayers :nun1:

17 hours ago, AveMariaPurissima said:

Of course serious health problems should be addressed, but I think that moderate weight issues are a personal matter and should be kept private and if necessary, addressed with compassion.  Unfortunately, this was not my experience in my former community.  I was overweight when I entered, but except for one odd, one-off comment, nothing was said to me about this before I entered.  Shortly after I entered, my Sister-in-charge pulled me aside, told me I was overweight, and that I was now on a diet.  Everyone knew who was "on a diet" as well as who needed to gain weight.  Being overweight was considered something humorous.  I have a lot of painful memories about all this.

This is what I'm talking about when I say that sisters tend to be so much more uptight and controll-y than brothers.

Ridiculous.

CountrySteve21
21 hours ago, AveMariaPurissima said:

Wow, I must admit that I am legitimately shocked that this would be a real "problem" how unfortunate, I'm sorry. I'm sure our Lord will find you a community who knows the virtue of love well.