An Old School Catholic Message Board

This Is Why There Are So Many Black American Catholics

1 hour ago, Quasar said:

I don't understand how someone can have so much vitriol over the color-name Pink being used by a male.  This kind of attitude can't come across as welcoming or tolerant to gender-nonconforming people.  Besides, IRL, a pink tie or dress shirt on a man is a sign he's comfortable and confident with his masculinity.  

It didn't even start out that way.  It started out with me being a stupid 18yo who didn't read the FAQ's.  My sheets didn't fit on my dorm mattress so I had to buy some from the campus store.  All they had left were hot pink.  When I went up to pay there was this tiny, sweet young woman who had blue sheets in her hand.  Her dad (or the man that was with her) asked if I was buying sheets for myself and I admitted I was.  He then told the woman to trade with me.  She just gave me a sad look, "I hate pink".  The man looked at me and said, "but he's a man."  In that moment I replied, "I'm man enough to not take things from a lady and make her uncomfortable".  I don't know what possessed me to say it.  I can't say I'd say the same thing now.  Every time I was teased about my pink sheets I brushed it off, but the teasing got pretty intense with one "grade school" level bully deciding to call me "hot pink" at all the dorm events.  The less I cared, the more he was powerless.  I had my friends call me hot pink and he left me alone.  So "hot pink" has been my nickname for more than a decade (eww I'm old) now.

1 hour ago, hotpink said:

He then told the woman to trade with me.  She just gave me a sad look, "I hate pink".  The man looked at me and said, "but he's a man."  In that moment I replied, "I'm man enough to not take things from a lady and make her uncomfortable".  I don't know what possessed me to say it.

Hahaha, great story!

1 hour ago, hotpink said:

the teasing got pretty intense with one "grade school" level bully deciding to call me "hot pink" at all the dorm events.  

How adolescent.  Hopefully he grew out of that. 

Just now, LittleWaySoul said:

Josh, with all due respect, you seem to be reading more malice into Hotpink's words than he/she (sorry, I don't know!) intends to convey. I don't think either of you disagree on the fact that there are some crummy people out there, Catholics included, who hold on to racism. 

This started earlier in another thread where I was attacked by Pink. But this is all stupid and immature on my part. That's why im taking a break. Apologies.  Pink sorry to you too. Hope everything works out with your Baptism. God bless.

Maine Catholic "Prolife" Governor Paul LePage criticised for racist remarks

3 hours ago

From the sectionUS & Canada

Image copyrightAP

Image captionGovernor LePage held up mugshots he said showed that most men arrested in Maine on drug charges were black

The governor of Maine has said that people of colour were enemies of his state, and appeared to suggest they should be shot.

Speaking about Maine's effort to combat drug crime, Paul LePage said that "the enemy right now... are people of colour or people of Hispanic origin".

"When you go to war... and the enemy dresses in red and you dress in blue, then you shoot at red," he said.

Leading Democrats have urged him to resign.

Mr LePage made the comments while seeking to clarify remarks he made earlier in the week which were criticised as racist.

The press conference capped a controversial 72 hours for the Republican governor.

WEDNESDAY

Mr LePage was asked about a statement he made in January, in which he blamed the state's heroin problem on "guys by the name D-Money, Smoothie, Shifty" who "come from Connecticut and New York".

"They come up here, they sell their heroin, then they go back home. Incidentally, half the time they impregnate a young, white girl before they leave," he said.

Speaking on Wednesday, he denied it was racist, but said that since January he had been putting together a binder cataloguing drug arrests in the state, and that "90-plus per cent of those pictures in my book, and it's a three-ringed binder, are black and Hispanic people".

Asked by reporters to provide the binder, Mr LePage replied: "Let me tell you something: Black people come up the highway and they kill Mainers. You ought to look into that."

He then stormed off, telling the reporters: "You make me so sick."

Maine daily newspaper the Portland Press Herald has reportedly filed a Freedom of Information request for the governor's binder.

THURSDAY

A reporter appeared to suggest to Mr LePage that Democratic state representative Drew Gattine had called him a racist.

Mr LePage called Mr Gattine and, when he was unable to reach him, left him an abusive, expletive-laden voice message.

The recording was released by the Portland Press Herald.

He later invited reporters from the Press Herald and WMTW TV channel to an interview to explain the voice message, and told them he wished he could shoot Mr Gattine in a duel.

Image copyrightAP

Image captionMr Gattine spoke to reporters about the incident, alongside representative Sara Gideon

"I'd like him to come up here because, tell you right now, I wish it were 1825," Mr LePage said.

"And we would have a duel, that's how angry I am, and I would not put my gun in the air, I guarantee you... I would point it right between his eyes, because he is a snot-nosed little runt and he has not done a beaver dam thing since he's been in this legislature to help move the state forward."

Rights group the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) said it had filed a freedom of information request for records related to the arrests of black and Hispanic people in the state.

Its executive director, Alison Beyea, said Maine police were nine times more likely to arrest people of colour for selling drugs than white people, even though white people were just as likely to commit drug offenses.

FRIDAY

The Portland Press Herald published FBI statistics which show that 1,211 people were arrested on charges of drug sales or manufacturing in Maine in 2014. Of those, 170 - 14.1% - were black, and almost all the rest were white.

At a State House press conference, Mr LePage said he was "enormously angry" at being called a racist, and restated his earlier remarks which cast Maine's drug problem in racial terms.

He said: "When you go to war, if you know the enemy and the enemy dresses in red and you dress in blue, then you shoot at red."

He added: "You shoot at the enemy. You try to identify the enemy and the enemy right now, the overwhelming majority of people coming in, are people of colour or people of Hispanic origin."

Leading Democrat figures are now calling for the governor to step down.

Representative Sara Gideon of Freeport, the assistant House Democratic leader, said: "We strongly and regretfully feel that he is unfit to serve as governor of the state of Maine right now.

"We have real concerns and reservations about how we move forward together as lawmakers as well as Maine people."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37204837

Just now, Josh said:

Mr LePage was asked about a statement he made in January, in which he blamed the state's heroin problem on "guys by the name D-Money, Smoothie, Shifty" who "come from Connecticut and New York".

The Portland Press Herald published FBI statistics which show that 1,211 people were arrested on charges of drug sales or manufacturing in Maine in 2014. Of those, 170 - 14.1% - were black, and almost all the rest were white.

Edited by Guest

One racist does not equal a racist church.  I researched governor lepage and he holds many options that fly in the face of Catholic doctrine....not only this one.  He was also almost removed from office for his comments.

catholics --as individuals -- do sin.  There are racists. No doubt.  To me, it seems like you are trying to ascribe meaning to the unfathomable.    As if he spoke this way because, not in spite of, being Catholic.  I can never beat you in a discussion where you are looking for correlation that may not be there.  If the bishop of Maine had come out supporting him...rather than denouncing him (more for his anti social justice issues) then we could acknowledge their was a problem.   This man is already known as a poor Catholic...what more do you want?  Catholics cannot de-Catholic him on public commentary alone, nor can we remove him from off.

8 hours ago, Josh said:

This started earlier in another thread where I was attacked by Pink. But this is all stupid and immature on my part. That's why im taking a break. Apologies.  Pink sorry to you too. Hope everything works out with your Baptism. God bless.

Josh, apologies accepted.  I believe I did apologize earlier for repeating an comment where you were called a troll, but if I was not clear enough I do apologize.  It seems as if the word troll here is used a lot, for people who have been around forever, so it wasn't appropriate for me to continue that bad habit.

On 8/26/2016 at 4:35 PM, Josh said:

Hilarious you're the second one here to say that blatantly racist post wasn't racist lol Its comical. Just like at the register when no one blinked an eye at it. Black people if you're reading WHITEN UP BECAUSE SMUG (RACIST???) WHITE CATHOLICS SAY SO !!!

I never mentioned if I thought it was a racist post or not. That is your interpretation that it is racist, is it not?  Can you decide for everyone which is or is not racist?  How did you decide no one blinked an eye?  You assume a lot and insert a lot of conjecture in your posts. To me, it seems you are looking for stuff that are not there. 

dominicansoul

I don't think Black people aren't Catholic because of racism.  I think they were just born into protestant families.  It's part of their heritage.  (Just like it is for some Catholics as well.)  

I think it will serve them well to evangelize to them rather than try to blame entire peoples for the idiocy of a few...