An Old School Catholic Message Board

What makes you happy?

little2add

15 hours ago, Gabriela said:

Also: Why the h*** is this thread in the Debate Table?

It makes me happy :)

That's why

CountrySteve21

Nature hikes, history, cooking, and most importantly, the Faith.

Also, I think phatmass could stand an Imprimatur (seeing that it already has an Nihil Obstat)

2 hours ago, CountrySteve21 said:

Nature hikes, history, cooking, and most importantly, the Faith.

Also, I think phatmass could stand an Imprimatur (seeing that it already has an Nihil Obstat)

Apparently phatmass still does - but they've only posted a few times. 

1 hour ago, truthfinder said:

I had to check if that account belonged to me. Seems like something I might do - register an account in order to hold the name for future purposes. :hehe: But it is not mine.

Aristotle's Definition of Happiness 

"Happiness depends on ourselves." More than anybody else, Aristotle enshrines happiness as a central purpose of human life and a goal in itself. As a result he devotes more space to the topic of happiness than any thinker prior to the modern era. Living during the same period as Mencius, but on the other side of the world, he draws some similar conclusions. That is, happiness depends on the cultivation of virtue, though his virtues are somewhat more individualistic than the essentially social virtues of the Confucians. Yet as we shall see, Aristotle was convinced that a genuinely happy life required the fulfillment of a broad range of conditions, including physical as well as mental well-being. In this way he introduced the idea of a science of happiness in the classical sense, in terms of a new field of knowledge.

Happiness as the Ultimate Purpose of Human Existence

...the function of man is to live a certain kind of life, and this activity implies a rational principle, and the function of a good man is the good and noble performance of these, and if any action is well performed it is performed in accord with the appropriate excellence: if this is the case, then happiness turns out to be an activity of the soul in accordance with virtue. (Nicomachean Ethics, 1098a13)

In conclusion, according to Aristotle, what is happiness?

• Happiness is the ultimate end and purpose of human existence
  • Happiness is not pleasure, nor is it virtue. It is the exercise of virtue.
  • Happiness cannot be achieved until the end of one's life. Hence it is a goal and not a temporary state.
  • Happiness is the perfection of human nature. Since man is a rational animal, human happiness depends on the exercise of his reason.
  • Happiness depends on acquiring a moral character, where one displays the virtues of courage, generosity, justice, friendship, and citizenship in one's life. These virtues involve striking a balance or "mean" between an excess and a deficiency.
  • Happiness requires intellectual contemplation, for this is the ultimate realization of our rational capacities.

•    
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

CountrySteve21
17 hours ago, truthfinder said:

Well, that makes me happy.  :) 

3 hours ago, little2add said:

In conclusion, according to Aristotle, what is happiness?

• Happiness is the ultimate end and purpose of human existence
  • Happiness is not pleasure, nor is it virtue. It is the exercise of virtue.
  • Happiness cannot be achieved until the end of one's life. Hence it is a goal and not a temporary state.
  • Happiness is the perfection of human nature. Since man is a rational animal, human happiness depends on the exercise of his reason.
  • Happiness depends on acquiring a moral character, where one displays the virtues of courage, generosity, justice, friendship, and citizenship in one's life. These virtues involve striking a balance or "mean" between an excess and a deficiency.
  • Happiness requires intellectual contemplation, for this is the ultimate realization of our rational capacities.

•    
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Have you ever read the book "My way of life https://www.tanbooks.com/index.php/my-way-of-life.html

I ask because a good deal of the book is dedicated to happiness and it's quite edifying to say the least.

Getting a long distance phone call, for no perticular reason from one of my kid and learning that everything is good

• 2 weeks later...

Sunshine, rain,  my boyfriend, a good joke, a great book are all the things that make me happy. Great friends and good company are always happy moments. For me it truly is the simple things in life that make me happy. Also, there is a lot of truth to the saying, "The best things in life are free." A child's smile, a summer rose, a light breeze, the sound of the waves off the ocean, a beautiful mountain view, a bumble bee buzzing, a bird singing or flying, watching a hummingbird, etc, are all free and wonderful things. 

On 9/5/2016 at 6:05 AM, CountrySteve21 said:

Also, I think phatmass could stand an Imphrimatur (seeing that it already has an Nihil Obstat)

FTFY