An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dta's thoughts of randomness... and running

Deus te Amat

Deus te Amat

Hi friends! :blowkiss:

It's been ages, and many of you probably don't remember me, but that's okay. PM has been a part of my life since I was in high school and for some reason, nine years later, I keep coming back.

Life has been pretty crazy lately. After college, I entered and left a convent, moved to Alaska for work, started dating my college sweetheart a second time, survived the loss of my mother, got engaged, quit my job, moved across the country, got another job, and will soon be getting married.

This has been a lot to take in, and I won't lie by saying it's been a picnic. But I am breathing, surviving one day at a time.

Something that has helped me a lot has been running. When I left Alaska, I started doing a couch to 5k program with the encouragement of my fiancé, but shortly after, I broke my toe and had to put it on hold for a few months. Last week I was finally able to finish the 8 week program and today I ran 3.1 miles in 29:21.

I am writing this because, selfishly, I want running buddies. I haven't met a ton of people in my new location yet, and I miss my friends and PhatMass family. I'd like to encourage all you non-runners to try to do a couch to 5k program while the fall weather is so lovely (an online version can be found here.) And for you runners out there, hello and please stop by and say hi.

:paco:

DtA

tl;dr

Hi - life is hard. Try running. God is good.

Hey, I remember you!! Life is full of crazy adventures that's for sure.

I'm not much of a runner, but does pushing shopping carts up a steep hill count?

DtA and Lil'mon!

DtA I think I remember about when you would have left for the convent. and Lil'mon, it's been a while I think?

5 minutes ago, truthfinder said:

DtA and Lil'mon!

DtA I think I remember about when you would have left for the convent. and Lil'mon, it's been a while I think?

It sure has! I've been busy with work and taking care of my animals. What's up?

Edited by Lil'Monster

31 minutes ago, Lil'Monster said:

It sure has! I've been busy with work and taking care of my animals. What's up?

I'm still in school - who knows when I'll ever leave. 

The Return of the Prodigal Daughters - Deus Te Amat, Emily Ann, Lil'Monster, and Little Red (only one post recently, but after a long dry spell). Hail! Hail! The gang's all here! 

Who'll be next - Madame Vangier?

30 minutes ago, Luigi said:

The Return of the Prodigal Daughters - Deus Te Amat, Emily Ann, Lil'Monster, and Little Red (only one post recently, but after a long dry spell). Hail! Hail! The gang's all here! 

Who'll be next - Madame Vangier?

I think we need Hasan first

LittleWaySoul

The gang's getting back together!

Also, I've been trying to work out more lately. I might try this as school starts and the weather gets nicer. :)

Deus te Amat
20 minutes ago, LittleWaySoul said:

The gang's getting back together!

Also, I've been trying to work out more lately. I might try this as school starts and the weather gets nicer. :)

Yes! The first few weeks are pretty easy and then you'll reach a hard spell that, if you push through, you'll feel so accomplished for completing! All it really takes is a half hour or so a day.

As motivation, I've been buying vitamin water with electrolytes and I only let myself drink one after a run. It actually does make me want to run when I'm feeling particularly lazy.

I'm writing this post as I'm procrastinating my saturday morning run. Oops? I'll let you all know how it goes?

Deus te Amat
11 hours ago, LittleWaySoul said:

I did my first day today! :)

Yay! how did it feel? I'm super excited for you!

Yesterday I ran 3.12 miles in 29:18. The last mile hurt. 

LittleWaySoul
8 hours ago, Deus te Amat said:

Yay! how did it feel? I'm super excited for you!

Yesterday I ran 3.12 miles in 29:18. The last mile hurt. 

The running itself wasn't too bad! It was an extremely hot day though, and the track I ran on had very little shade. Luckily I wasn't burnt, but next time I might want to invest in some sunscreen. :hehe: Either that or run earlier in the morning. I appreciated the small intervals; the running was bearable because I knew it was short. I'm using the mobile app, which is really nice because it tells you when to start and stop. :) 

I think I might try to go again tomorrow. I have class at 8:30, so if I get up at 7 and do C25K for ~30 minutes, I can get back home and shower before heading off to class. Hopefully it'll be cooler at 7am than it was at 11am, hah.

Great job!!! Hopefully I can get to that point. It'd be a great accomplishment for me to be able to run 3 miles in 30 minutes!

Edited by LittleWaySoul

Deus te Amat
52 minutes ago, LittleWaySoul said:

The running itself wasn't too bad! It was an extremely hot day though, and the track I ran on had very little shade. Luckily I wasn't burnt, but next time I might want to invest in some sunscreen. :hehe: Either that or run earlier in the morning. I appreciated the small intervals; the running was bearable because I knew it was short. I'm using the mobile app, which is really nice because it tells you when to start and stop. :) 

I think I might try to go again tomorrow. I have class at 8:30, so if I get up at 7 and do C25K for ~30 minutes, I can get back home and shower before heading off to class. Hopefully it'll be cooler at 7am than it was at 11am, hah.

Great job!!! Hopefully I can get to that point. It'd be a great accomplishment for me to be able to run 3 miles in 30 minutes!

Running when it's cooler or not humid is definitely much easier. I find it most difficult to run in humidity - I feel like I can't breathe. Hopefully running earlier in the day will help. I'm excited for fall particularly for the cooler morning and evening temperatures.

I should've started posting on here when I was in the middle of the C25K. It was just a few weeks ago when running five minutes straight was an impossible milestone. I definitely don't take running for 30 minutes for granted, and it's something I'm still working on improving on.

I definitely think you should keep posting your progress on here. It's so inspiring what you can do with a little time and a little perseverence!