An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dta's thoughts of randomness... and running

Deus te Amat

LittleWaySoul
8 hours ago, EmilyAnn said:

For y'all that run, how did you get started?

Well for me it was only like a week ago and I downloaded the C25K app at the suggestion of DTA and decided which three days of the week to run. Here's hoping I'll get through the program and get running to be a habit! :)

8 hours ago, LittleWaySoul said:

Well for me it was only like a week ago and I downloaded the C25K app at the suggestion of DTA and decided which three days of the week to run. Here's hoping I'll get through the program and get running to be a habit! :)

I've downloaded an app that has a 'start running' plan that I think I can handle.

What did people do before smartphones?

LittleWaySoul
4 hours ago, EmilyAnn said:

I've downloaded an app that has a 'start running' plan that I think I can handle.

What did people do before smartphones?

Ha I tried C25K before I had a smartphone and it just wasn't practical; I had to have some way to keep track of the time intervals and also remember how many there were... I gave up. Having the app has been great!

Im off to a slow start today and feeling unmotivated, but I'm determined to go work out anyway! Wish me luck!

LittleWaySoul

Dangit, I wrote a nice little post for today but a 403 error ate it up. :( 

Basically I'm gonna go run even though I don't want to. Endorphins and all that. 

LittleWaySoul

I had something sorta similar happen today. 

I was feeling GREAT- day 3 is the best because you've gotten used to the week's routine and feel really strong. But almost exactly halfway through, BAM. Cramps. Those cramps. I thought I'd be fine so I pushed through (I've heard working out actually helps them, and mine are usually pretty mild), but after another lap it became unbearable.

It was all I could do to stumble home without throwing up. I went to my room, closed the door, put my fan in front of me, mumbled a, "Lord, please," and curled up in a fetal position in the middle of my bedroom floor. I was resigned to spending the rest of my day recovering from this.

Not sure if it was the fan or the prayer, but I felt better fairly quickly, which is very unusual for me. These cramps were some of the worst I've ever had. 

Now I'm not sure whether to go out and finish my workout or not. I only have like 8 minutes left, which includes a 5 minute cool down, but I don't want to take the chance that cramps will hit again and I won't make it home in time. I think I might just do day three for this week again on Saturday. Then my week will look more normal anyway, with Tuesday being day 1, Thursday being day 2, and Saturday being day 3.

Ugh, LWS that's the worst. That actually happened to me as I was a mile and a half away from home a few weeks ago and I just couldn't finish. I actually had someone come and get me. 

My recommendation is to take it easy and eat some chocolate. You can repeat the workout another day, or just do the next one if you feel capable. The point is you're exercising. :)

I planned to run 4 miles today. But it is muggy. Sooooooo muggy. So muggy it seems like running would be difficult to breathe. 

I'm going to wait an hour or two and see if it cools down a bit. If it doesn't, I might have to modify my day's plans. 

Ran again, but it was too muggy and I was too dehydrated to finish the full 4 mile loop. I started getting woozy around 3 miles.

3.27 miles in 32:12. 

Lesson learned: hydrate!

Yay LWS!! I'm super glad you're doing this with me. The endorphins are amazing and I want everyone to run too!

4 miles 38:40

I'm glad you invited me to, DtA!! It's helpful knowing there's someone out there to keep me accountable and such :) I'm feeling great since starting this, and actually more confident too! I went ahead and stayed in nice church clothes and my favorite heels all day today just because I felt pretty in them. I don't think I've lost any weight (and that's not my goal anyway), but just knowing that I'm active and feeling strong has helped me own my confidence a little more. :) 

I've actually gained wait since starting ~ 5 lbs. That's apparently pretty normal as fat turns to muscle and takes up the same space -- muscle weighs more.

I have noticed that my legs look pretty darn good in skirts now though!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on week 4! It's 9:45am because I slept in and I'm hoping it's not too awfully hot outside when I go run soon. We'll see, I guess. I just know that if it's not the first thing I do today, it won't get done. Here goes!