An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dta's thoughts of randomness... and running

Deus te Amat

DtA! Good to see you around again! It's always nice to see old faces on Phatmass. :)

Y'all are inspiring me. I will finally be finished with school (for now) and though I've never liked the idea of running distance, I've never given it a try. Maybe I will. I've wanted to start working out. I've got some connections to the running world through my dad, who works with some professional runners, so I've always felt I should give it a try. 

Which app do y'all use? 

On 9/22/2016 at 3:08 PM, Amppax said:

DtA! Good to see you around again! It's always nice to see old faces on Phatmass. :)

Y'all are inspiring me. I will finally be finished with school (for now) and though I've never liked the idea of running distance, I've never given it a try. Maybe I will. I've wanted to start working out. I've got some connections to the running world through my dad, who works with some professional runners, so I've always felt I should give it a try. 

Which app do y'all use? 

C25K! It's free and it is supposed to get you from the couch to running a 5k in 8 weeks. I don't really care about distance though; I'm mostly doing it to gain endurance so that I can run for 30-40 minutes at a time and have a substantial work out. We'all see if I actually run a 5k from there. :) I highly recommend it!

On 9/24/2016 at 4:32 PM, LittleWaySoul said:

C25K! It's free and it is supposed to get you from the couch to running a 5k in 8 weeks. I don't really care about distance though; I'm mostly doing it to gain endurance so that I can run for 30-40 minutes at a time and have a substantial work out. We'all see if I actually run a 5k from there. :) I highly recommend it!

Ah, found it. I didn't see it initially on the website, so I searched the Google Play store and saw about 3 dozen different apps. 

3 hours ago, Amppax said:

Okay, did my first run. Unfortunately, it was the only day I can run this week, but it was good to start. 

Yay! I actually signed up for a 5K last night so now I have no choice but to keep going, haha. I'm excited though! I'd like to ask some friends to join me, but I'm nervous to at the same time. 

17 hours ago, LittleWaySoul said:

Yay! I actually signed up for a 5K last night so now I have no choice but to keep going, haha. I'm excited though! I'd like to ask some friends to join me, but I'm nervous to at the same time. 

Dang that's commitment. I'm not sure if I'm ready for that. 

Deus te Amat

I use the nike run club app. If anyone here uses that, PM me and maybe we can be friends.

My life got chaotic these last two weeks and I wasn't running. Bad idea for my mental health. But I got back out there today and ran 3 miles in 30:21! Not too shabby after two weeks of being a bum!

LittleWaySoul

I'm on week 6 and I'm approaching the day where there is no walking between runs. I'm nervous because it's been getting harder but i know I'm in better shape than when I started and that it'll get easier as I keep working at it. I'm almost there! And I've got a couple weeks after C25K but before the actual 5k to get better. I'm excited!

Have any of you considered zero drop and broad toed shoes?  I've been using Altras since December.  Excellent performance and very minimal stress on the back.  They also have a very cushiony shoe.

www.altrarunning.com

LittleWaySoul
On 10/10/2016 at 11:12 AM, Papist said:

Have any of you considered zero drop and broad toed shoes?  I've been using Altras since December.  Excellent performance and very minimal stress on the back.  They also have a very cushiony shoe.

www.altrarunning.com

Oooh thank you for this. My mom has been struggling with some foot issues lately which has made me aware of the need to try to avoid shoes that smush my toes together. I also have really old sneakers so I'm due for some new ones. These look like a good idea!

LittleWaySoul

Hey peeps! Looking for some running advice here. 

So im still doing C25K and I'm on week 7 of 8. I'm at the point where it has me running 25 minutes straight and I've been having trouble. Maybe 3/4 of the way through both times I've done it I've gotten a cramp in my side and started feeling somewhat nauseous. Both times I tried to push through but couldn't. I paused the timer, walked a bit, started the timer back up, and finished running. Does anyone have any advice on how to get past this? I've been training consistently so I'm not sure why I've hit this rut the past few days. Any advice you have would be appreciated!

CountrySteve21

I might try doing some running once or twice a week; I've been trying to live a  healthier lifestyle and I've got the food portion of that down pat for the most part.

Well, I thought I would be able to run these past couple weeks, but it just hasn't been an option. I've been at work this week from approximately 6:30 am to 7:30 pm every day. I just don't have enough extra energy to go for a run. 

15 hours ago, LittleWaySoul said:

Hey peeps! Looking for some running advice here. 

So im still doing C25K and I'm on week 7 of 8. I'm at the point where it has me running 25 minutes straight and I've been having trouble. Maybe 3/4 of the way through both times I've done it I've gotten a cramp in my side and started feeling somewhat nauseous. Both times I tried to push through but couldn't. I paused the timer, walked a bit, started the timer back up, and finished running. Does anyone have any advice on how to get past this? I've been training consistently so I'm not sure why I've hit this rut the past few days. Any advice you have would be appreciated!

Run slower. You'll be able to do that slightly faster pace you're used to after a few more runs of that length. But I've found that in order to run longer, I need to keep it at a slower pace. It'll be an odd adjustment at first, but you'll feel better throughout the run.

LittleWaySoul
On 10/13/2016 at 5:14 PM, Deus te Amat said:

Run slower. You'll be able to do that slightly faster pace you're used to after a few more runs of that length. But I've found that in order to run longer, I need to keep it at a slower pace. It'll be an odd adjustment at first, but you'll feel better throughout the run.

I think I'm already running as slow as I can, though. It feels like walking but more bouncy. I'll try even slower though tomorrow! :) 

Oh and by the way, I decided that I'm going to use the 5K I signed up for as an opportunity to pray for our country and presidential candidates before the election. It's happening the weekend before the election takes place. If anyone wants to join me by either offering up their workouts or also running a 5K on their own on that day to pray for our country, feel free! It's on November 5th.