An Old School Catholic Message Board

News - Contemplative Dominican Nuns - North Guilford, CT

Luigi

I check the web site of the Dominican contemplative nuns at Our Lady of Grace in North Guilford, CT every now and again. They've updated the look of their web page, but they don't post news on a regular basis.

However, I found this tidbit in an article published in Columbia (Online Edition), the magazine of the Knights of Columbus, the edition of 08-01-16. The article is currently on the web site of the Dominican Province of St. Joseph:

"Some of the flourishing contemplative, cloistered communities in the United States include the Dominican Monastery of Our Lady of the Rosary in Summit, N.J.; St. Dominic’s Monastery in Linden, Va.; and the Monastery of Our Lady of Grace in Connecticut.

Our Lady of Grace Monastery went years without a single vocation, but now four women are in formation and three are in the application process."

4 hours ago, Gabriela said:

Is Linden flourishing?

Here's a link to a video, uploaded in 2015. At around 4'45", the narrator says the the current community consists of fourteen women: four nuns in solemn profession, five in temporary profession, three novices, and two postulants.

8 hours ago, Luigi said:

Here's a link to a video, uploaded in 2015. At around 4'45", the narrator says the the current community consists of fourteen women: four nuns in solemn profession, five in temporary profession, three novices, and two postulants.

I'd call that flourishing.

No link, though! ;) 

Sr Mary Catharine OP
1 hour ago, Gabriela said:

I'd call that flourishing.

No link, though! ;) 

Yes, but a qualified yes. They have 5 in solemn vows with the 5th just making solemn vows last week. In other words they have enough sisters to form a council which are the same sisters who are the chapter. So, they are on the WAY to flourishing but a lot can happen with sisters in formation. And making solemn vows doesn't make you an experienced nun. Having a lot of sisters in formation is actually a huge challenge for a community. Sisters young in the life may need to take on responsibilities before they are ready. So, pray for them!