An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vocation boom in Australia?

DameAgnes

Spem in alium

It's interesting for me that more and more secular newspapers here are covering stories of young priests and religious. I think there is a growing interest based on a few factors, especially the prioritisation of newer religious congregations with younger members. A lot of young people also seem to be very interested in orders wearing a habit or some kind of identifiable garb (I often get asked what I wear as a sister, if I wear a veil, etc).  

I was particularly happy to read about the entrant with the Sisters of St Joseph. It seems that these sorts of congregations, which wear little identifiable garb and have mainly middle-aged or elderly sisters, don't attract a lot of public interest. When I was discerning with an Australian order of Benedictines like this, I actually had people ask me why I was interested in a group which didn't wear a habit and in which the youngest sister (making her perpetual profession this year!) is in her late 30s. Someone even asked why I wasn't discerning with the Nashville Dominicans. Yet members of these orders make up the majority of consecrated men and women here. There was an event last year held for consecrated persons across the archdiocese, and it was interesting to see that the majority of those who attended were elderly women who were not wearing habits. Yet they seem to be more or less overlooked by young discerners. I pray that Australian orders like these will continue to exist.

The elderly are a valuable part of any community, secular or religious.  It's hard for me to imagine an order with only young nuns!

I understand why orders wouldn't adopt a habit just to attract new members, but it doesnt seem like a bad impetus to reevaluate an ancient tradition.  Just as the young learn from the old, sometimes the young have something to contribute to the old.

16 hours ago, Quasar said:

Just as the young learn from the old, sometimes the young have something to contribute to the old.

Wise words.

Great article. They featured a seminarian with a cassock without making a big deal of it : congratulation. Because I just read an article who was : 

"This is X. He is a seminarian. He wears a cassock. He's learning to be a priest - with his cassock. Because he wears a cassock. He wears a cassock to attract people. He's a seminarian with a cassock. Did I mention that X have a cassock ?" I WISH I was exagerating, but no. It was insufferable. 

3 hours ago, Antigonos said:

OK, you experts, is there any difference between a cassock and a soutane?

As far as I can tell, it's just a regional (or national) linguistic difference referring to the same vestment.