An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Totally Unoffical Phatmass US Presidential Election Poll

Peace

The Totally Unoffical Phatmass US Presidential Election Poll  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

LittleWaySoul

Undecided. I like neither. I'm still trying to decide whether I want to do the whole lesser-of-two-evils business or do a protest vote for a third party candidate. Problem is, I don't like them either. :sad2:

8 minutes ago, LittleWaySoul said:

Undecided. I like neither. I'm still trying to decide whether I want to do the whole lesser-of-two-evils business or do a protest vote for a third party candidate. Problem is, I don't like them either. :sad2:

Yeah. I think I will probably sit it out, or write someone in.

I think that Hillary is probably the better of the two evils, but I am not a big fan of voting for pro-choice candidates. If one were to vote for a pro-choice candidate this would seemingly be the time.

It's pretty sad because there were actually a number of good candidates on the Republican side. But somehow yet again the party managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. . .

LittleWaySoul
1 hour ago, Peace said:

Yeah. I think I will probably sit it out, or write someone in.

I think that Hillary is probably the better of the two evils, but I am not a big fan of voting for pro-choice candidates. If one were to vote for a pro-choice candidate this would seemingly be the time.

It's pretty sad because there were actually a number of good candidates on the Republican side. But somehow yet again the party managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. . .

Yep, I agree. 

IgnatiusofLoyola
2 hours ago, LittleWaySoul said:

I don't like either candidate, but I am scared to death of Trump being President. Yes, he is pro-life, but I'm afraid he what he will do (and SAY!!) on many other extremely important issues in which innocent lives are involved.

One problem with third-party voting is that it takes votes away from the two most likely candidates to win. I am afraid that voters who dislike Trump, but have problems with Hillary's pro-life stance, will take votes away from Hillary by voting for third party candidates.

Believe me, if I thought a third-party candidate had ANY chance of winning, I'd be voting for a third-party candidate, too.

Note: This will be my only post on this topic. I don't want to get involved in the ugliness that sometimes happens on Phatmass during election time. I have been known to not post on Phatmass at all (except maybe VS) at election time.

Also, based on 20 years of writing about U.S. National Politics as part of my (paid) job, Congress is just as important as the President in the long run. For example, the President can propose any legislation that he/she wants, but it has to pass Congress first before it becomes law. So, if you have a Senatorial election in your state this year, vote carefully in that election, too. For example, any Supreme Court Justice nominated by the President must be approved by the Senate. And EVERY member of the House is up for re-election, so look closely at your local candidates for the House, too. In the end, whether each House is controlled by Democrats or Republicans has proved to be more important for the fate of many pieces of important legislation (and Supreme Court candidates) than who is President. 

You don't have to agree with me on that last point--but it's based on 20 years of observation of National Politics, so I think it has enough validity for consideration, if not agreement.

LittleWaySoul
20 minutes ago, IgnatiusofLoyola said:

I don't like either candidate, but I am scared to death of Trump being President. Yes, he is pro-life, but I'm afraid he what he will do (and SAY!!) on many other extremely important issues in which innocent lives are involved.

One problem with third-party voting is that it takes votes away from the two most likely candidates to win. I am afraid that voters who dislike Trump, but have problems with Hillary's pro-life stance, will take votes away from Hillary by voting for third party candidates.

Believe me, if I thought a third-party candidate had ANY chance of winning, I'd be voting for a third-party candidate, too.

Note: This will be my only post on this topic. I don't want to get involved in the ugliness that sometimes happens on Phatmass during election time. I have been known to not post on Phatmass at all (except maybe VS) at election time.

Also, based on 20 years of writing about U.S. National Politics as part of my (paid) job, Congress is just as important as the President in the long run. For example, the President can propose any legislation that he/she wants, but it has to pass Congress first before it becomes law. So, if you have a Senatorial election in your state this year, vote carefully in that election, too. For example, any Supreme Court Justice nominated by the President must be approved by the Senate. And EVERY member of the House is up for re-election, so look closely at your local candidates for the House, too. In the end, whether each House is controlled by Democrats or Republicans has proved to be more important for the fate of many pieces of important legislation (and Supreme Court candidates) than who is President. 

You don't have to agree with me on that last point--but it's based on 20 years of observation of National Politics, so I think it has enough validity for consideration, if not agreement.

I agree with you on pretty much every point you made. Thanks for posting!!

LittleWaySoul
45 minutes ago, IgnatiusofLoyola said:

Oh!!! And speaking of paying attention to your senators/representatives, I just found this amazing app that is extremely helpful for staying up to date on Congressional legislation. It's called "Countable." You can say where you live and it'll automatically tell you your representatives and senators. Then it will keep you up to date on what bills are going through Congress and what your Representative/Senator voted on these bills. You are also given an opportunity to weigh in on certain bills and issues and say why you voted the way you did. It's been extremely helpful for me lately; it'll give me a little notification saying, "Your Representative just voted on a bill!" and then I can see what he voted and read others' thoughts on the matter. You can also see what the presidential candidates think about certain issues in some cases.

Here's a link to the website: https://www.countable.us/ I strongly recommend that anyone with a smart phone check this app out. 

Plus, one of the top profiles is a Catholic! :smile3: 

Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 6.39.15 PM.png

EDIT: I just realized that you can make an account and follow this stuff online too, so you don't need a smartphone to do this! Though it is helpful to get updates quickly if you have one.

Edited by LittleWaySoul

Well, I think that there is something serious wrong---health wise--with Hillary.  It is just coming out in the new now but I've been following it since she fainted, which was a blood clot in her brain.  From her black frames glasses with special lenses to her zoning out moments.  She can't recall signing important papers, having important conversations, has not had a real press conference in months and has someone by her side, so close as to shoo away secret service, touch her shoulders and tells her to just talk when she zones out.  Scary to think that we don't notice these things.  I don't wish any harm to her at all, just don't think she's fit to withstand the pressures and stresses of being in office. 

Archaeology cat
4 hours ago, IgnatiusofLoyola said:

I agree with you except for on the 3rd party thing. ;) I do understand the fear that 3rd party votes will take away from another candidate. I wish we had ranked voting, but we don't. If you're in a swing state, like I am, there's a bit more pressure. If you are in a state that always votes red or blue, though, you could safely vote 3rd party. It's important to do so because, without those votes, the 3rd parties won't get funding or debate time next time around. Will they win this time? Probably not. But it could set the stage for them to gain momentum. I personally vote 3rd party in local and state elections a lot (and did in the Presidential election last time). 

I'm not American, but this election TERRIFIES me. I mean, if Donald Trump is running for president then something is seriously wrong! Although I don't like Hilary Clinton that much if I were American, I would almost definitely vote for her because she is by far the lesser of two evils. Even saying that feels wrong because Hilary Clinton and Donald Trump are on different levels. Donald Trump is straight-up insane.

America: y'all screwed up letting Donald Trump be a candidate. Don't let it go any further.

If you think Hillary is the lesser of the two evils, I suggest looking more into Hillary's history. I am not pleased with any of the options (seems like it gets worse each time) but there is NO way in heck I can vote for Hillary. 

The signs were obvious many years ago to how screwed up this country is. Very clear when a politician gets busted for smoking crack cocaine with a prostitute and then gets re-elected mayor.