An Old School Catholic Message Board

Clothing of VS'er on Thursday Sept 8 --Lets Pray for Her!

IgnatiusofLoyola

IgnatiusofLoyola

The policy is pretty recent. As far as I know, users who already had the "Religious" tag at the time of the change did not have the tag taken away. That's why Spem has it (and I'm glad she does) because she gives us wonderful insights into monastic life.

I think the policy was put in place because (obviously) not all those who enter religious life remain there, which can cause confusion and the need to change tags. There is no shame in leaving religious life--that's why Orders have initial formation (as opposed to ongoing formation after final vows).

I understand both sides of the reasoning. And, the new policy is more consistent--if memory serves (and it might not!) there were cases where some users got the Religious tag before final vows and some did not.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

1 hour ago, IgnatiusofLoyola said:

The policy is pretty recent. As far as I know, users who already had the "Religious" tag at the time of the change did not have the tag taken away. That's why Spem has it (and I'm glad she does) because she gives us wonderful insights into monastic life.

I think the policy was put in place because (obviously) not all those who enter religious life remain there, which can cause confusion and the need to change tags. There is no shame in leaving religious life--that's why Orders have initial formation (as opposed to ongoing formation after final vows).

I understand both sides of the reasoning. And, the new policy is more consistent--if memory serves (and it might not!) there were cases where some users got the Religious tag before final vows and some did not.

It was my understanding that Spem was not a monastic, but a member of an active congregation?

Spem in alium

This is so wonderful! SCM looks so joyful! I will continue to remember her and the community in my prayers. 

49 minutes ago, Nunsuch said:

It was my understanding that Spem was not a monastic, but a member of an active congregation?

Yes, I am a member of a contemplative-active congregation. I received the Religious tag early last year, but if my having it is causing any issues for anyone please remove it. And thank you Iggy for your words: it's a pleasure to share my simple reflections and thoughts!

Sister Leticia

Perhaps dUSt could create a new "probie" tag - a word or phrase which covers all stages of formation, for sisters, brothers and priests. To be given when someone enters the first stage of formation (postulant/candidate/aspirant) and retained until they either make final vows (and get the religious tag) or discern out (when presumably they would ask for the tag to be removed)

It doesn't have to be "probie", of course, I'm just trying to think of a word of phrase which covers both genders and all stages.

IgnatiusofLoyola

I apologize if I've made a mistake in terminology. Since both nuns and active Religious Sisters usually live in monasteries, I think of them both as being able to describe "monastic life." However, perhaps a better word would have been "Community life."

From a practical standpoint, most women in formation are not allowed access to the Internet to post on Phatmass. Spem is an exception, and that is why we (or at least I) appreciate her posts so much. Even active Religious Sisters don't generally post until after First Profession, and even then, it may not be an everyday permission, but for a special occasion or only while they are on home leave. So, for most religious to have the tag is an honor, but in practice, it makes little difference since they are not logging in anyway.

It appears that seminarians often have more latitude to post on Phatmass, but if women in formation are not given a "Religious" tag before final vows, the rule regarding the "Religious" tag should apply equally to men.

There was a long thread about this awhile back, and I can see both sides. However, in the end, I think applying the "Religious" tag only to those who have taken final vows/ordination is likely to prevent most cases of former religious having to ask to have their tag changed back when they return, since most (but obviously not all) religious leave before final vows/ordination.

Spem--"I" have no problem with you keeping your religious tag now that you have it. I think Laetitia Crucis/Sister Mary Catherine still has hers, too, but since she is now a month or two away from making her final profession, to me, the issue is academic in her case.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

IgnatiusofLoyola

This subject has been discussed before in another thread. If we want to open up the topic again, we should probably start a new thread so that this one can go back to being dedicated to Sister Chiara Marie. She deserves that.

We also don't know if  @dUSt wants to reopen the discussion, and dUSt (and only dUSt) has the final say on the topic. Personally, since so few postulants, novices, seminarians post, I don't think the additional title is needed. My preference is to let those who currently have the "Religious" tag keep it, but continue to follow the new policy that only those who have made final vows/are ordained get the "Religious" tag.   A poster who is in religious life but has not taken final vows can certainly mention this in their posts and on their profile.

2 hours ago, das8949 said:

What about Associate, applicant, petitioner, seeker?

Associate means something very different. Many religious communities have Associates (who are not vowed members).

14 hours ago, Sister Leticia said:

It doesn't have to be "probie", of course, I'm just trying to think of a word of phrase which covers both genders and all stages.

How about "In Formation", or "In Religious Formation"?  Has the advantage of being PC, accurate, and inclusive.

I understand that Sister Chiara Marie is no longer appropriately referred to as Sister Aisling, but she will always be Sister StrictlyInkblot in my heart. :)

There WAS a "Sr.Chiara Marie" PCPA in OLAM! While I give congratulations to the new Sister of that same name...I can't help but think about the sister of Mother Angelica's community.. (of whom I was a pen pal with)

With all due respect to Sr. Chiara, I am with Krissy Lou. "Sr.Stricklyinkblot" is my first inclination as well! 

Marie Villalovos Smith

So very happy for Sr. Chiara Marie!!!!  God be with you always and you too Sr. Mary Catherine!!!  And all of Summit!!!! Pax