An Old School Catholic Message Board

Accepting money from corrupt politicians, ethical or not?

Seven77

many people accuse Mother Teresa from accepting money from crooked politicians and dictators… now I know that this is not cooperating with evil but how can we answer these charges from a Catholic, ethical and moral standpoint…?

5 hours ago, tinytherese said:

Thanks. I read that particular article many times before and it proved helpful but it didn't really give me what I'm looking for regarding the accepting money issue. All I'm really looking for is some moral theology on the acceptance of money from crooked individuals, in general. What does the Church teach about it exactly?  All I could find was this:

http://www.catholicnews.com/services/englishnews/2016/pope-tells-corrupt-benefactors-that-church-doesnt-need-dirty-money.cfm

There is something to be said for allowing someone to perform a penance by supporting good works. As to St. Mother Teresa, I'm not sure that her eyes could see the kind of evil we are talking about. She dealt with the evils of poverty and despair daily. She had her hands full with that. She didn't need to investigate everyone that offered to help. I'm not sure she was capable of it anyway. 

On 9/10/2016 at 10:39 PM, CatherineM said:

There is something to be said for allowing someone to perform a penance by supporting good works. As to St. Mother Teresa, I'm not sure that her eyes could see the kind of evil we are talking about. She dealt with the evils of poverty and despair daily. She had her hands full with that. She didn't need to investigate everyone that offered to help. I'm not sure she was capable of it anyway. 

Yes! I was actually thinking along these lines… by accepting the money, she allowed for an opportunity for the donor to make some sort of reparation and an act of penance.