An Old School Catholic Message Board

Heaven

Quasar

If you believe in Heaven, why do you believe it's real?  Is there anything outside of scripture and doctrine that compels you to believe?  

What do you think it's like?

Interesting questions.

Raised believing in Heaven as very real indeed is probably my answer to question one.  I believe because I believe - seems to have been always that way to my memory.

Nothing that "compels" me to believe probably answer to question two.  I think of "compel" as some sort of exterior force brought to bear to believe in Heaven in this context.

Question three (had to think carefully about that one): The Alpha the journey and the Omega of all creation in one.

I don't need physical proof. From the grace of my Baptism, I have all the gifts I need to help me persevere in faith, hope, and charity. To me, it doesn't make sense that most people believe in the devil and do not believe in God. 

Does on think the our Free Will comes from Satan, who is a creature created by God? We have the ability to choose Good and Evil. To me, logically, if I know I have the ability to chose, I have my conscience, and the graces from my Baptism, why would I want to throw my soul away and give it to Saran, who is a liar. 

7 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

Nothing that "compels" me to believe probably answer to question two.  I think of "compel" as some sort of exterior force brought to bear to believe in Heaven in this context.

After I wrote that, I considered editing to say "persuade", but I was overcome with sloth.

8 minutes ago, Quasar said:

After I wrote that, I considered editing to say "persuade", but I was overcome with sloth.

I blame Saran.

Catholic heaven seems pretty amesome!

A neuroscientist wrote a book about a near death experience that incorporates some things I hope are in heaven, like intense feelings of love and connection.  I'm not sure NDEs can tell us what heaven is like though, since who knows where they were.  I like to think about it, though.

i think NDE's are very compelling evidence for life after death, which is usually portrayed as heavenly. it's more of a stretch to say the common themes like a tunnel life review meeting relatives encounter with the light etc are stories that are somehow embedded in people's dying brains.
my deepest religious belief is that there is life after death. this is mostly influenced by NDEs and miracles which give credence to religion's claims. but also aside from saying how to live, the main purpose of religion is to give us hope that death is not the end.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

I do not believe in a an afterlife at all.  I certainly wanted to for most of my life and the vast majority of people I know believe. 

As far as the wonderful heavenly experiences such as connectedness and love, we can (and should) try to make those realities now.  Heaven in the afterlife certainly fosters hope and can provide comfort for many, but it is really only experienced now. 

Yeah, I think we know the reasons people don't believe.  It's interesting to me when someone has a strong sense that an afterlife exists.  I have more of an intermittent sense about it.  I'd like to understand where that strong belief comes from, especially when it comes from a place other than formal religion.

One of the novices on the Mt St Mary Abbey  (whose interview is posted on their page) was raised without a religion.  However, she had a strong sense of an afterlife even as a child.  It tied into her sense of a personal presence beyond the material world, and she decided that if she could find the source of this personal presence, she would give her life to it.  She expressed it much better than I just did, though.

A Yearning Heart

It's a part of my faith, and I'm not sure what its like.

Beyond Scripture and Doctrine, some modern Saints have recounted their experiences of being shown hell, purgatory and heaven. St Faustina comes to mind and I think the children of Lourdes or Fatima. 

I am not fundamentally satisfied with anything this earth has to offer. I think that I am at times; I run after what I think will make me happy. But when I get it, it never truly fulfills my desire for wholeness, peace, or communion. I would lose hope very quickly if I stopped believing that there is a God and an afterlife.