An Old School Catholic Message Board

Out of the Mouths of Priests

Gabriela

2 hours ago, Maggyie said:

I mean why is an FSSP priest preaching on that stuff? Presumably everyone already agrees who goes there.

Apparently not that one guy who walked out . . .

I tend to listen to traditionalists because a lot of what they say (well maybe not a lot, but some) initially rubs me the wrong way. But that's not really a reason to tune someone out. I think it's an opportunity to challenge what you believe. It's good to be uncomfortable sometimes.

That, and I'm also pretty neurotic so . . .

2 hours ago, Maggyie said:

It's this weird phenomenon where people go to a parish to be told over and over what they already think, like a political rally. No growth... Just, confirm me and make me feel good. The libs do it too. Weird. 

I noticed this a while back, too. You've summed it up well.

CountrySteve21
On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 7:02 PM, Gabriela said:

I'm going through my interview data (recruitment is now closed—thanks everyone who helped! :)) and some of these priests said really great things, like:

"Negative feelings about preaching? Yeah, I have negative feelings about preaching. When I'm listening to other people preach and I wanna punch them in the face."

"I know the Holy Spirit is working when things go suspiciously well."

I'll post more as I come across them (again).

ha

I wish I had a funny priest quote, but alas my priests only say edifying,  soul changing things.

5 hours ago, KnightofChrist said:

Peace believes attending non-catholic religious services doesn't endanger souls.

I think it can, but it depends on the circumstances. My guess is that it is not a gave matter (or even a sin at all) in certain circumstances.

Let's say a Catholic and a protestant get married with the Church's approval. The Catholic goes to Mass, and then later on in the day also attends church with his wife, for the sake of family unity. I find it difficult to believe that Jesus would condemn a person to hell for worshiping God with his wife in a Christian church.

<3 PopeFrancis
10 hours ago, Peace said:

The Catholic goes to Mass, and then later on in the day also attends church with his wife, for the sake of family unity. I find it difficult to believe that Jesus would condemn a person to hell for worshiping God with his wife in a Christian church.

One will inevitably end up choosing one or the other for time constraints especially with children.

I thought Jesuits were dark  They are a really down to earth earthy community and not haughty or dark. 

Me: "Is it possible for the preacher to succeed rhetorically but for the Holy Spirit to 'fail' by not showing up or giving grace?"

Priest: "Ummmm... [long pause]... I was checking the sky just now. [laughs]"

I reckon we probably each all have our own very personal experiences and evidence to state that God indeed does work in mysterious ways - even crazy and totally not understood, absolutely illogical, ways to we mortals. :buddies:

After all, we mortals do know unquestionably that God always answers prayer.  We know unquestionably too that Grace never fails us, it's we who fail Grace :mad:

With our theology and beliefs it can be inconvenient and rather a case of "my way or the highway".  ......... [laughing]..........

giphy.gif

"I mean, I was standing in the sacristy right before Mass just joking around with one of the women in there, just asking her, 'Do you have a homily? Cuz I don't.'"

"Of course, every priest gets ordained so that he can sign checks and answer phones. At the moment he's kneeling there holding the bishop's hand, that's what he's thinking about at that moment to serve the kingdom of God."