An Old School Catholic Message Board

Go figure.........

BarbTherese

Since our complete power failure in Adelaide and over our entire state of South Australia during the storms here, my computer has been acting so slowly that at times, the page timed out.  My computer was fine before the blackout.

I phone Optus this morning and for most of the day on and off have been speaking to Optus: Tech says switch this on....now switch that off.........I'm just doing this says the Optus tech..........I am just doing that says the Optus tech.  Optus tech - ok, now switch on again.......just do this......now I am doing that.   Finally after most of the day has transpired with me not understanding a word of IT language and my Optus tech - with no success re my computer, the tech tells me it is not an Optus problem but a problem with my computer.  I ask could the power failure be the reason and get a "probably" type of response.  He also tells me not to use Google until my computer gets off to a technician - ok, he says, to use Word and My Documents - stuff like that, but not Google.  I leave my computer on desktop and go for what I hope will be a calming quiet cup of coffee.

Eventually, I get onto my Insurance Co. to find out if my computer is covered for damage due to power failure, they are busy and I will get a ring back when my turn comes up. 

Being me, I think to myself before switching off the computer completely "Blow it all, I am going to reboot and try Google again" and I do so while I am waiting for my insurance company to ring me back.  After the reboot, I access Google again. Hey! It is working great and no problems whatsoever.  Hence when my insurance company rings, I have to tell them "False alarm, all is fine now"

Go figure Optus out.......or my computer........or fate.......or power failure.....or computer gremlins.....whatever the heck it was..........

I ring my brother to tell him the crazy story.  He says "You have to stop swearing at your computer to get it to behave"

Me: "Don't you worry, my computer has heard language today you have never heard............and the Optus tech almost copped the same......"..........

giphy.gif

Edited by BarbaraTherese

<3 PopeFrancis

On 9/30/2016 at 3:55 AM, BarbaraTherese said:

Since our complete power failure in Adelaide and over our entire state of South Australia during the storms here, my computer has been acting so slowly that at times, the page timed out.  My computer was fine before the blackout.

I phone Optus this morning and for most of the day on and off have been speaking to Optus: Tech says switch this on....now switch that off.........I'm just doing this says the Optus tech..........I am just doing that says the Optus tech.  Optus tech - ok, now switch on again.......just do this......now I am doing that.   Finally after most of the day has transpired with me not understanding a word of IT language and my Optus tech - with no success re my computer, the tech tells me it is not an Optus problem but a problem with my computer.  I ask could the power failure be the reason and get a "probably" type of response.  He also tells me not to use Google until my computer gets off to a technician - ok, he says, to use Word and My Documents - stuff like that, but not Google.  I leave my computer on desktop and go for what I hope will be a calming quiet cup of coffee.

Eventually, I get onto my Insurance Co. to find out if my computer is covered for damage due to power failure, they are busy and I will get a ring back when my turn comes up. 

Being me, I think to myself before switching off the computer completely "Blow it all, I am going to reboot and try Google again" and I do so while I am waiting for my insurance company to ring me back.  After the reboot, I access Google again. Hey! It is working great and no problems whatsoever.  Hence when my insurance company rings, I have to tell them "False alarm, all is fine now"

Go figure Optus out.......or my computer........or fate.......or power failure.....or computer gremlins.....whatever the heck it was..........

I ring my brother to tell him the crazy story.  He says "You have to stop swearing at your computer to get it to behave"

Me: "Don't you worry, my computer has heard language today you have never heard............and the Optus tech almost copped the same......"..........

giphy.gif

lol  Gosh!  I'm glad it is working again.  

2 hours ago, <3 PopeFrancis said:

lol  Gosh!  I'm glad it is working again.  

Thank you very much, 3PF, for kind thoughts ........... I am rejoicing too and very happy I did not need to take the computer off to a computer tech.  Deo Gratius.

I did give the Optus tech a bit of a hard time - but I do not understand IT language and he had a very heavy accent difficult to follow..  I tried very hard to stay cool and calm, just didn't quite make it at times. .....um.........err........most of the time......

My SD is on retreat just now and rang me to say "I am mortified!"  It was only because he had forgotten to ring me before going on retreat.  I instructed him not to be mortified and he replied "I can forgive myself"

"Ok Father, if you can forgive yourself, its ok to be mortified" (he laughs)

I have not yet forgiven myself for falling short of cool and calm with my Optus Tech - but I do hope to get there..............at some point............I hope. :beg:

Life is what happens when we have other plans :mad:.........and c'est la vie.........and on we go..........it's like St Therese of Lisieux said (feast day yesterday and my patron saint) "How can I fear God when He is all Love and Mercy"..........Guardian Angels today and I have special devotion to mine to nudge me good if I start to go off track............

Thank you again, 3PF, for your kind thoughts...........

Regards............Barb :) 

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Not directed to you, 3PF - just an incident that happened later, which concludes the computer anecdote.....I hope!

Can't forget this.  My brother rings to find out if my computer is still working and I affirm that it is.  I am a trained counsellor pre onset of bipolar, and I was a private secretary during my working career - I pick up tones in voices and potential indications of non verbal communications.  My dear brother and I exchange some conversation, during which, I become aware he very likely  thinks I am paranoid (overly sympathetic suspicious type tone of voice with related verbal exchange).  Admittedly, my computer woes and the Optus Tech is a pretty wild sort of tale.

After I hang up the phone, I am a little upset that even now my family might link me to mental illness symptoms very easily.  I smart for a while and then think to myself "It doesn't matter what anyone might think, it is only important what The Lord thinks" and I was consoled.

Now I am laughing at myself - what a paranoid sort of tale above! :lol3:

.........but I can console myself and laugh, rejoice, because if I am indeed paranoid I do not dispute ......... paranoia is not sinful.............and I am consoled.............

Be all as it may, human affirmation etc. is very important simply because that is the way God has made human beings.  We are constructed by God to need to be affirmed by fellow human beings now and then.  I have just finished reading an excellent novel ***(brilliant characterization) about just what can happen to a child's(or person's) psychology when there is no affirmation whatsoever rather the opposite including bullying at school..........and the tragic result including a shock twist at the end.  An excellent and emotive read - an entirely tragic story. 

***  "Nineteen Minutes" Jodi Picoult (I would warn that this novel centres around a school shooting and the people involved prior and after the terrible event).

<3 PopeFrancis
12 minutes ago, BarbaraTherese said:

Now I am laughing at myself - what a paranoid sort of tale above! :lol3:

.........but I can console myself and laugh, rejoice, because if I am indeed paranoid I do not dispute ......... paranoia is not sinful.............and I am consoled.............

Computer problems can bring out every kind of feeling - from impatience to paranoia etc.  This is technology gone awry.  Moderation is key in everything.  You certainly can and should console yourself as chances are very great - it was the computer.  

Thank you again, 3PF.:)  Does the above include (mild for an Aussie) expletives at the computer - oh and including at the Optus Tech when he couldn't hear? :mad:................. :hehe2:  I rang Optus at 11am - and am still on the phone to my Optus tech at 4pm (I think it was) before my computer unexpectedly suddenly came good again.  Most of the day, I am switching this on, switching that off, disconnecting my landline, then connecting my landline while the Optus tech tells me he is doing this or that, or just going somewhere or other to check something and will ring me back -  and me not understanding almost one word of IT language in a fast moving heavy accent.   Hindsight - and it is all very funny, if not funny at all the time.  

My confusion also came about because my brother lives near me and has the same Optus setup as I do - and he had no problems at all once power came back on in our area.  The whole of South Australia lost power for at least 5 hours during the storms.  Far north of Adelaide and I don't think they have it back on as yet.  We have very heavy flooding just north of Adelaide with rivers and creeks, small dams breaking banks - crops and people's homes lost.  How long some big dams will hold is debatable.  More rain tomorrow and probably Tuesday as well.  More power outages likely.

23 pylons were ripped out the ground or bent over in heavy wind.  That took out electricity in the whole of the state.  We only have 1 pylon operative for Adelaide just now.

..........and I moan about my tiny problem!

I  agree it was my computer.:)

Edited by BarbaraTherese

OH DEAR!

I didn't mean for the whole thread into Open Mic ("Go figure.....") to come out in full the way it has in full.  I meant only for the link to the thread to appear.  I have to leave it as it is due to time limit on editing............oh dear!

Life is what happens when planning something else........

Man proposes, God disposes. :topsy:

.........teach me not to use preview:bye:....

RAIN

Rain has begun again here in Adelaide (Sunday 5.12pm 2Oct) .......... not due to ease until Tuesday.  Could be power outages again.   I am really hoping that north and far north of Adelaide will not experience any more really serious damage.

Our Lady, Advocate in Difficulty and Suffering, pray for them.

<3 PopeFrancis
20 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

Does the above include (mild for an Aussie) expletives at the computer - oh and including at the Optus Tech when he couldn't hear?

I'm afraid it does :shutup:   :smile2:

19 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

OH DEAR!

I didn't mean for the whole thread into Open Mic ("Go figure.....") to come out in full the way it has in full.  I meant only for the link to the thread to appear.  I have to leave it as it is due to time limit on editing............oh dear!

Life is what happens when planning something else........

Man proposes, God disposes. :topsy:

.........teach me not to use preview:bye:....

RAIN

Rain has begun again here in Adelaide (Sunday 5.12pm 2Oct) .......... not due to ease until Tuesday.  Could be power outages again.   I am really hoping that north and far north of Adelaide will not experience any more really serious damage.

Our Lady, Advocate in Difficulty and Suffering, pray for them.

That's okay.  There should be one or two threads for miscellaneous subjects -videos and gifs.  It's a healthy break from religious politics, political politics, well, everything under the sun.

I will continue to pray for your nation and it's weather troubles. I hope you are all well.

Windy and cold today, some heavy rain in patches.  Haven't caught up as yet with news re flooding north of Adelaide - didn't look like any relief at last night's news.

Then, on Thursday, we have a sunny day forecast 80.6F (27C) forecast.  Typically South Australia.

Sunshine and no rain will be too late for our farmers and their crops.  Many too north of here have lost their homes and some everything with it.  

Thank you very much for prayer 3PF. 

<3 PopeFrancis
14 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

80.6F (27C) forecast.  Typical

I could live with that  but (hate to bring it up yet again) the animals and bugs.  They can be quite beautiful to look at, however.