An Old School Catholic Message Board

Spiritual Reading.

CountrySteve21

dominicansoul
On 10/7/2016 at 6:49 PM, BarbaraTherese said:

Given this book to read in the convent as a teenager - it scared the living daylights out of me.  Took me quite some years to get over it.

We all have our own unique impressions from books.  For me, the Imitation reads like Scripture.  I find it a beautiful tool to get me through periods of dryness and lukewarmness.  

58 minutes ago, dominicansoul said:

We all have our own unique impressions from books.  For me, the Imitation reads like Scripture.  I find it a beautiful tool to get me through periods of dryness and lukewarmness.  

Yes.  I've found that I can't read spiritual books that aren't "meant" for me at a certain time.  I've never been able to read more than a little bit of the Interior Castle.  And Imitation - I've been working through it for years. It seems that when I pick it up, there's something relevant for what I need at that time. 

CountrySteve21
On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 4:16 PM, NadaTeTurbe said:

Blessed Elizabeth is going to be a saint on octobre 19th, I'm so excited ! 

Currently reading writings by Cistercian fathers : Bernard de Clairvaux and Aelred de Rivaux. Kind of hard to focus on, but you learn a lot. 

Have you read St. Bernard's book  The Steps of Humility and Pride? I found it quite fascinating and edifying, since humility is the foundation of a solid spiritual life.

Just now, CountrySteve21 said:

Have you read St. Bernard's book  The Steps of Humility and Pride? I found it quite fascinating and edifying, since humility is the foundation of a solid spiritual life.

Yes and my conclusion was : I have a long, long way to go. 

CountrySteve21
21 minutes ago, NadaTeTurbe said:

Yes and my conclusion was : I have a long, long way to go. 

I think we all do, I know I consider pride to be my predominant fault :/

• 3 weeks later...
Little Flower

I'm reading The Soul of the Apostolate, which is really good. I'm also working my way slowly through The Imitation of Christ :)

CountrySteve21
On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 5:37 PM, WhiteLily said:

I have been reading writings from St. Teresa of Avila. 

I started to read her life again. I am on Ch. 12 now. :) 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, philothea said:

Reading The Dialogue of St. Catherine of Siena. This is my third try over the past 20 years, and I think I will finally manage to read it all. (Would probably be easier if I bought a modern translation, but I am cheap.)

I find when I read the Dialogue of St. Catherine of Siena, I don't read it in order. It helps me when I open to a topic in which I want to know more of or what I'm struggling with. I do that with St. Teresa of Avila and the Diary of St. Faustina. However, I have read the Diary of St. Faustina from front to cover. It was beneficial, but it's not necessary. 

Oh, and I can't do that with Holy Scriptures. I fall asleep after Genesis 3 :)