An Old School Catholic Message Board

Spiritual Reading.

CountrySteve21

CountrySteve21

I thought it would be nice to start a thread about what we are reading for our spiritual life.

I am currently reading Heaven in Faith by Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity.  It has the structure of a mini retreat, and its goal is to help with recollection in the prayer life. It's interesting that she wrote the work for a mother living in the world.

" During this retreat... the object of which is to make us more like our adored Master, and more than that, to become so one with Him that we can say: I live no longer I but He lives in me... The way to be followed is specified: union with God (in Christ) by a return to the center of our soul where, since our baptism, the Trinity opens a dwelling for us; this implies a prayerful and assiduous searching, full of loving attention to the hidden God who is the great Present One, and requires the total gift of love that dies to all egoism.

LittleWaySoul

I'm trying to read Guardini's End of the Modern World but I haven't had much time and I'm also reading other stuff. It's not 100% spiritual reading, but eh it's close enough. 

CountrySteve21
23 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

At the moment, my spiritual reading is confined to articles on the net.

Nice, any particular that you are reading now?

22 hours ago, LittleWaySoul said:

I'm trying to read Guardini's End of the Modern World but I haven't had much time and I'm also reading other stuff. It's not 100% spiritual reading, but eh it's close enough. 

Well that's another book to my amazon wishlist

1 hour ago, CountrySteve21 said:

Nice, any particular that you are reading now?

Just at the moment, none in particular just now, while something I read might spark an interest to research a subject even subjects raised in Phatmass threads or posts whether I am posting or not. I have St Teresa's Way of Perfection on Kindle, but can only read in small doses.  Now and then I can go through patches where spiritual type reading is heavy going for me especially the classics - at other times, no problem at all.  Just now I prefer light secular novels before I go to sleep.

I have a few spiritual books waiting to be read on Kindle.

Credo in Deum

"My Way of Life" pocket edition of St. Thomas The Summa Simplified for Everyone. By Walter Farrell O.P.,S.T.M. And Martin J. Healy, S.T.D.

CountrySteve21
On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 10:08 PM, Credo in Deum said:

"My Way of Life" pocket edition of St. Thomas The Summa Simplified for Everyone. By Walter Farrell O.P.,S.T.M. And Martin J. Healy, S.T.D.

I have that one on my bookshelf. It's chapters on the nature of happiness is excellent.

I'm reading a couple books, I'd call them quasi-spiritual reading. Dan Burke's Navigating the Interior Life, which is on spiritual direction, and To Save A Thousand Souls, which is about discerning the diocesan priesthood. I also read the gospel for Mass each day. 

5 hours ago, dominicansoul said:

The Imitation of Christ by Kempis.

Given this book to read in the convent as a teenager - it scared the living daylights out of me.  Took me quite some years to get over it.

Blessed Elizabeth is going to be a saint on octobre 19th, I'm so excited ! 

Currently reading writings by Cistercian fathers : Bernard de Clairvaux and Aelred de Rivaux. Kind of hard to focus on, but you learn a lot. 

Archaeology cat

I'm currently reading Taylor Marshall's Catholic Perspective on Paul. I recently read Consoling the Heart of Jesus by Fr Michael Gaitley. And a lectio divina study on the Creed.