An Old School Catholic Message Board

How do I vote: Inform my conscience

mommas_boy

Hi, I'm Kris, a long-dormant member here.

I am concerned with how I ought to vote this election cycle. I understand that this is a question that would be more likely to be asked elsewhere on the Phorum. However, I'm not here for a discussion, nor a debate. I'm here for a definitive answer from someone who understands moral theology.

First, context. I am writing because I am deeply disappointed with Mr. Trump. I am not sure that I can justly vote for him anymore, due to the now infamous video (cf. CatholicVote.org). However, I will not vote for Secretary Clinton. I live in the state of Illinois, which is important for two reasons: (1) according to FiveThirtyEight.com, Mr. Trump has a 1.3% chance of winning the state, and will likely pull in approximately 38.5% percent of the vote, as of this writing; and (2) writing in a candidate invalidates my ballot for that particular race according to state law, unless they are a designated write in candidate.

As I see it, I think that my options are limited to these:

1. Vote for Trump anyway. Hope for good to be accomplished despite his faults.
  2. Write in a candidate anyway. Probably Mike Pence for president. Accept the fact that my vote will not be counted, and record a vote of protest.

So, I guess my questions are: Is a vote for Trump a participation in evil? Can I write-in Pence, knowing that any vote for "not Trump" results in a secondary effect as aiding Clinton? 

Hopefully I know a bit about moral theology, I really should after 5 years. Here goes. 

I think, if you'd like to avoid a debate, the only way to really answer this question is to present the principles of Catholic voting, rather than a specific answer. There are several important documents that I would first of all like to put on your radar, and that of everyone who reads this. First of all is the USCCB's document "Forming Consciences For Faithful Citizenship." The next document which I would suggest is Bishop Olmstead's "Catholics in the Public Square." The first document is the official guidelines from the USCCB, and I would say it is the primary source for American Catholics. Bishop Olmstead has an excellent reputation for fidelity to the magisterium, so his document would also have great value. Finally, I would suggest the CDF's document "The Participation of Catholics in Public Life" for a broader look at morality in political life. The above documents are a lot of reading, but voting is an important moral responsibility, and they contain the principles which ought to inform Catholic voting. 

Plenty of times, we hear in politics the phrase "non-negotiables." There are different listings, but I think the best one is that given by Pope Benedict, and it consists of three issues. The first is the protection of human life, from conception to natural death. The guarantee that all life will be respected is the foundation of society. This obviously applies to issues such as abortion and euthanasia, but is not limited to those. The second issue is marriage and family. The family is the building block of society, and without healthy families, we cannot have a healthy society (which we see in our world today). Finally, authentic freedom, primarily religious freedom is the last of the non-negotiable issues. The freedom to act virtuously is central to a good and holy society. 

However, while the above are the most important issues, and certainly are the first and primary things which Catholic voters ought to consider, they are not the only issues for Catholic to consider. These principles certainly sum up the issues which Catholics need to consider, but we are also called to dive more deeply into the teachings of the Church. The USCCB document says in its introduction: 

"It would be a serious mistake—and one that occurs with regrettable frequency—to use only selected parts of the Church's teaching to advance partisan political interests or validate ideological biases. All of us are called to be servants to the whole truth in authentic love, and it is our fervent hope and prayer that this document will provide aid to all those seeking to heed this call."

The above are the principles of Catholic voting, but doesn't answer your question. I'll only say that I personally will not be voting for Trump (or Clinton), and don't think I can do so in good conscience. Others have come to the opposite conclusion, and there are various arguments for and against. The only thing I can say is read on the issues, read the documents above, and pray, pray, pray.