An Old School Catholic Message Board

What do you think?

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Sr Mary Catharine OP

This is probably going to be a big surprise to everyone but recently we changed our veil! Nothing is up yet on our website. It's going to take time to change out the photos. What do you think?

I don't know why it is showing up sideways!DSC_6195.JPG

25 minutes ago, Sr Mary Catharine OP said:

Comfort, ease of sewing and looks! :-) The discussion has been going on forever!

I can imagine ease of sewing! I'm not sure what these new ones are like, but other veils like this I've seen seem pretty much to be a straight piece of fabric with finished edges.  Aren't your current veils a neat - but complicated-looking - two-point style? 

Sr Mary Catharine OP
3 hours ago, truthfinder said:

I can imagine ease of sewing! I'm not sure what these new ones are like, but other veils like this I've seen seem pretty much to be a straight piece of fabric with finished edges.  Aren't your current veils a neat - but complicated-looking - two-point style? 

Our veils are super easy! The two points are made just by sewing a line at an angle when the veil is folded. Our new veil as a fold over at the top to create a pocket for a narrow piece of polystyrene to shape it.

35 minutes ago, John Paul said:

That is very cool. Is that the way it used to be before the previous veil...maybe before vat.II

No. But it  is the way our nuns in Italy wear it.

graciandelamadrededios

it looks cool and comfortable.

very similar to the veils of Dominican Nuns in Cainta, Philippines.

Sr Mary Catharine OP
Just now, graciandelamadrededios said:

it looks cool and comfortable.

very similar to the veils of Dominican Nuns in Cainta, Philippines.

Not at all. Cainta wears exactly what we wore until 1981. They have a longer guimpe and it tied tightly around the face. Our guimpe is very soft and stretchy!

graciandelamadrededios
3 minutes ago, Sr Mary Catharine OP said:

Not at all. Cainta wears exactly what we wore until 1981. They have a longer guimpe and it tied tightly around the face. Our guimpe is very soft and stretchy!

oh?  how will the current guimpe stay in place?:)

Sister...I'm a guy who grew up right after V-ll.  Just from an aesthetic point of view, the traditional veil is so much more appealing than the modified veil your community used to wear: great to learn it is more comfortable too.  So two giant thumbs up!  Beautiful.