An Old School Catholic Message Board

What do you think?

Sr Mary Catharine OP

1 hour ago, Sr Mary Catharine OP said:

You are to funny!

Yes, our new guimpe is a high quality sort of t shirt! (It's not made of  a T shirt, though.)The fabric is called modal. Very soft and cool and comfy! There are some issues with the front and hair showing but we'll work that out.

BTW, did you meet a certain nun last week at the preaching colloquium. I forgot to tell you she was coming!

Ah, I'm sorry, I thought you'd have heard: I left that particular institution. We weren't a good fit. I'm back at Purdue now finishing the degree.

graciandelamadrededios
4 hours ago, NadaTeTurbe said:

Gracian : Some people said that not because of these soft wimple, but because of more complicated wimples with hard materials :) 

Is it not hot in summer ? 

Its extremely hot in Summer!  At times, even in rainy season, its still hot due to humidity!  That's why I am wondering how our cloistered nuns survived the tropical weather in particular, those wearing wimples, toques, guimpes - even if the materials are light and softer.  They are still very covered up!

4 minutes ago, graciandelamadrededios said:

Its extremely hot in Summer!  At times, even in rainy season, its still hot due to humidity!  That's why I am wondering how our cloistered nuns survived the tropical weather in particular, those wearing wimples, toques, guimpes - even if the materials are light and softer.  They are still very covered up!

There's a spanish congregation who did not change their habit after Vatican II. They are black, they don't seem to use white in hot country, and I always wonder how the do during summer in Spain, Guatemala, or these kind of country ! 

Afficher l'image d'origine Can you imagine wearing that in summer in hot country ? And they take care of old people ! (They are hermanitas de los ancianos desamparados)

IgnatiusofLoyola
7 minutes ago, graciandelamadrededios said:

I don't know how nuns in heavy dark habits (both in the past and currently) survive hot, humid weather without suffering heatstroke.

I believe that at least some rooms in the Summit Dominican monastery are air-conditioned. (If I'm wrong, sorry about that.) At minimum, the monastery is more than one story, so the rooms in the lower story/stories would be naturally cooler. If nothing else, the nuns have electric fans.

Also, in New Jersey, where the Summit Dominicans are located, cold winter-like weather usually lasts more than 6 months a year, so heat is only an issue for a few months of the year. Fall and spring can be cool (snow in April is not unusual), although this year, the warm weather is lasting until mid-October. :idontknow: Other years, there can be snow in mid- to late-October. Bottom line: Don't live in the Northeastern or Midwestern part of the U.S. if you need predictable weather. :)

graciandelamadrededios
15 minutes ago, NadaTeTurbe said:

There's a spanish congregation who did not change their habit after Vatican II. They are black, they don't seem to use white in hot country, and I always wonder how the do during summer in Spain, Guatemala, or these kind of country ! 

Afficher l'image d'origine Can you imagine wearing that in summer in hot country ? And they take care of old people ! (They are hermanitas de los ancianos desamparados)

There are still Benedictine Nuns in the Philippines that still wears the traditional black habit with wimples, and all!  An OCD Nun told me that before Vatican II, they collect pools of perspiration down their feet and their serge habit was very itchy!

IgnatiusofLoyola
2 hours ago, Sr Mary Catharine OP said:

Some of the headings for the different pages have been changed. Not all. We're getting there!

Ah, I see. I'll try again later.

I like the new guimpe very much. It looks very comfortable, warmer in colder weather, and is flattering, besides. I realize that "flattering" is not a goal for a guimpe, but because it's not flattering in a "showy" way, it can't hurt. The guimpe covers up some of the telltale signs of aging. I wouldn't mind wearing one if it wouldn't look absurd with jeans and a sweater, not to mention being misleading about my spiritual state.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

There are usually a lot of health problems that wouldn't be talked about. Also, the general rhythm of life in hotter countries is much different than in places like here where there isn't really any difference in the summer compared to the winter. I noticed this when I was at Cainta. I was hot much not really much more than in Summit in the summer. Also, the buildings are built for ventilation and coolness. Here in Summit, the monastery is not built that way and it really holds in the heat with little if no cross-ventilation.

What many people don't realize is that SPAIN is the same latitude as BOSTON, NY, NJ! :-)

graciandelamadrededios
6 hours ago, Sr Mary Catharine OP said:

There are usually a lot of health problems that wouldn't be talked about. Also, the general rhythm of life in hotter countries is much different than in places like here where there isn't really any difference in the summer compared to the winter. I noticed this when I was at Cainta. I was hot much not really much more than in Summit in the summer. Also, the buildings are built for ventilation and coolness. Here in Summit, the monastery is not built that way and it really holds in the heat with little if no cross-ventilation.

What many people don't realize is that SPAIN is the same latitude as BOSTON, NY, NJ! :-)

Are other monasteries of Dominican Nuns in the US considering of doing the same?  I mean opting for wimple and guimpe?  

• 3 weeks later...
AuthorOfMyLife

Okay, I confess I had to go to your news page and look for the old veil (bad memory)! Maybe you need a "before" and "after" image :)

But I really do love the new look. The former veil was nice, but it did have a faint resemblance to a child's headband (I guess it was the thick white band over the dark "hair"). I think the "veil + collar" appearance of the new design is so elegant. Of course, your beautiful smiling faces would look good in anything!

Spem in alium
On Wednesday, October 19, 2016 at 0:55 PM, Gabriela said:

Oh my gosh, this is SO much better. And now that you've changed it, I feel alright telling you that every time I looked at the former one, I couldn't help but think: foreskin.

Sorry. I don't mean to be vulgar. It's just... the Jew in me. :P 

SO glad I don't need to be thinking about brits every time I look at a nun's face now! LOL.

Oh goodness me. Almost died laughing. Probably should be bemoaning my fate instead as the veil I'm hopefully soon to wear is very similar to SMC's old veil...!

• 4 weeks later...