An Old School Catholic Message Board

Midterms Are Horrid

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

They take up my valuable Skyrim/Catholic Answers time, and I, for one, will not tolerate it.

I have a midterm tomorrow for a class called Understanding the Bible. It requires remembrance of specific facts. I am not a rememberer of specific facts. :|

48 minutes ago, PhuturePriest said:

They take up my valuable Skyrim/Catholic Answers time, and I, for one, will not tolerate it.

I have a midterm tomorrow for a class called Understanding the Bible. It requires remembrance of specific facts. I am not a rememberer of specific facts. :|

When in doubt, the answer is Jesus. If it's Old Testament; Abraham, Moses, or David. 

LittleWaySoul
50 minutes ago, PhuturePriest said:

You're betraying us for them?!?11 :dontlike:

My tips for tomorrow and every test thereafter:

1. Remember that a test is just a game.  No matter your test score, no one gets sick or dies.  It's just a fiction and a game.

2. Like any game worth playing, it's worth playing well.

3.  Adopt an attitude of amusement at how your brain operates.  Notice all of the random facts it does remember, or the strange ways it likes to play with information.  

Have fun with it tomorrow.  It's all there for you, in your brains.

Just now, Quasar said:

Have fun with it tomorrow.  It's all there for you, in your brains.

^This. If there's one thing I know, it's that good students (and I believe that you are one) tend to underestimate how much they know going into tests. 

Remember this: The American Catholic Church is so desperate for priests that you could nearly flunk out and they'd still ordain you.

So you know, no pressure. ;) 

Horrid? HORRID? No. Unacceptable. 

We will accept (in increasing order of intensity):

"Midterms are a bear"

"Midterms are the bane of my existence" 

"Midterms will be the death of me"

"Midterms are killing me" or

"Midterms are the spawn of Satan." 

But we will not accept HORRID (unless you can slip into the midterm as a misspelling for Mount Horeb)

PhuturePriest
5 hours ago, Luigi said:

Horrid? HORRID? No. Unacceptable. 

We will accept (in increasing order of intensity):

"Midterms are a bear"

"Midterms are the bane of my existence" 

"Midterms will be the death of me"

"Midterms are killing me" or

"Midterms are the spawn of Satan." 

But we will not accept HORRID (unless you can slip into the midterm as a misspelling for Mount Horeb)

This reminds me: the Elohist author refers to "Mount Horeb", as opposed to the Yawist's Mount Sinai. :|

6 hours ago, LittleWaySoul said:

You're betraying us for them?!?11 :dontlike:

I listen to Catholic Answers Live when I play Skyrim. Seminary has not yet distorted my brain enough that I would be so bored as to go on their forums. :|

6 hours ago, Amppax said:

When in doubt, the answer is Jesus. If it's Old Testament; Abraham, Moses, or David. 

It's Old Testament, but the problem is he's asking us what the theological themes of each book are (with examples) and we need to remember the "major" characters, some of whom are quite obscure. I also have to memorize the "Documentary Hypothesis", which I detest and for whatever reason cannot remember for the life of me.

2 hours ago, PhuturePriest said:

It's Old Testament, but the problem is he's asking us what the theological themes of each book are (with examples) and we need to remember the "major" characters, some of whom are quite obscure. I also have to memorize the "Documentary Hypothesis", which I detest and for whatever reason cannot remember for the life of me.

JEDP! JEDP! JEDP! JEDP! 

I recently had a quiz about this material. Definitely keep these folks in order:

Abram/Abraham (married to Sarai/Sarah)

Isaac (married to Rebekah)

Esau and Jacob/Israel (had twelve sons and one daughter with Leah, Rachel, and their two maids)

Joseph (son of Jacob and Rachel) was the father of Ephraim and Manasseh.

Also remember JEDP. Genesis 1 is probably from the Priestly source, and Genesis 2 is likely from the J, or Yahwist, source.

LittleWaySoul
4 hours ago, PhuturePriest said:

I listen to Catholic Answers Live when I play Skyrim. Seminary has not yet distorted my brain enough that I would be so bored as to go on their forums. :|

Ha, I was gonna say. ;) 

PhuturePriest

Wasn't as bad as I predicted. There wasn't really anything I was told by him to prepare for (mainly the themes of each book) which was slightly annoying, but I think I definitely passed, and dare I predict something in the 80+ range.

Edited by PhuturePriest

On 10/20/2016 at 11:14 PM, PhuturePriest said:

dare I predict something in the 80+ range.

Yeah. Careful about that, brother: "But of that score and grade no one knoweth, not the angels of heaven, but the Father alone."

PhuturePriest
11 hours ago, Gabriela said:

Yeah. Careful about that, brother: "But of that score and grade no one knoweth, not the angels of heaven, but the Father alone."

I never tell people my grades. That was just a guess of how well I think I did, which can be significantly different from reality. :P