An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hey Brits: Help Me Out a Sec

Gabriela

I commissioned some calligraphy and illumination work from St. Cecilia's Abbey in the UK and now it's time to pay them. Nowhere can I find their address with the proper line breaks on it, and I know you Brits are particular about where the line breaks go. Here's the address from their website:

St. Cecilia's Abbey, Appley Rise, Ryde, Isle of Wight, England P033 1LH, United Kingdom

So how do you break that to go on an envelope?

Sister Leticia

Basically, and for future info, the commas in what you copied out are the line breaks. Also, you don't need to put England (or Wales or Scotland) if you put the name of the town, the county (unless it's a city) and the post code - that's enough. In this case the Isle of Wight is the "county".

So London, Manchester, Birmingham, Oxford, Cambridge, Leeds, York etc don't need to be followed by a county, as the Royal Mail know exactly where they are, whereas smaller towns and villages need a county to help locate them. BUT the primary locator is the post code - the mix of letters and numbers. As long as that is correct (and you've added UK!!) your payment should arrive at its destination.

I once received a letter addressed simply to:

'(my name)

Oriel

Oxford'

The postman wrote on the envelope 'Yes, it did work!'

On 10/20/2016 at 11:33 PM, DameAgnes said:

Gabriela, would love to see the calligraphy and illumination work. Were you satisfied with it? Any pics? 

Haven't gotten it yet. When it arrives, I'll photograph and upload it and state my opinion!

11 hours ago, Anselm said:

I once received a letter addressed simply to:

'(my name)

Oriel

Oxford'

The postman wrote on the envelope 'Yes, it did work!'

My father and I decided to try an experiment with our postal worker. I'll upload those photos too! ;)