An Old School Catholic Message Board

Newly Professed Benedictines

Pax17

IgnatiusofLoyola
17 hours ago, Pax17 said:

Two novices made their first profession of monastic vows at the Abbey of St. Walburga in Colorado

http://auriscordis.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the article. I thought it was interesting that the novices took their religious names when they made first vows. In virtually all of the Communities I'd heard of, Sisters took their religious names at clothing. Unfortunately, I can't remember if I've heard of Communities where Sisters are given their religious names at entrance (other than "In This House of Brede," which mostly reflects pre-Vatican II Benedictine practices).

And, I'm not forgetting the many Communities where Sisters are given the option of retaining their birth names.

3 hours ago, IgnatiusofLoyola said:

Thanks for the article. I thought it was interesting that the novices took their religious names when they made first vows. In virtually all of the Communities I'd heard of, Sisters took their religious names at clothing. Unfortunately, I can't remember if I've heard of Communities where Sisters are given their religious names at entrance (other than "In This House of Brede," which mostly reflects pre-Vatican II Benedictine practices).

And, I'm not forgetting the many Communities where Sisters are given the option of retaining their birth names.

Some Carmelites give names at entrance; and I know the Children of Mary also give names at first profession.