An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hey, Byzantines

Gabriela

Got a good book/website on the history of the Byzantine Catholic Church? You know, one that'd be a good introduction for a Roman?

Specifically Byzantine Catholic, or more generally Eastern? I think I can get you either. The best person for this, though, would definitely be @Byzantine. I don't think you can really separate the history of the Eastern Catholics from the history of Roman relations with the Orthodox. The history is so important. 

Definitely look at Aiden Nichols Rome and the Eastern Churches. Perhaps Kallistos Ware's intro book, I'm forgetting the name.

This is broader than just Catholic, but I think it may be what you need:

https://www.amazon.com/Eastern-Christian-Churches-Brief-Survey/dp/8872103215

I haven't read it, but I have seen (long ago) a series of books on the various Eastern Churches that Fr Roberson was involved with that were put out by the Pontifical Oriental Institute (I think) and were very helpful. They may be worth investigating too, but this looks like what you need for a basic introduction.

Oh, and if it's basic theology / spirituality (problematic distinction) that you want, I seem to recall that this is quite helpful:
https://www.amazon.com/Spirituality-Christian-East-Systematic-Cistercian/dp/0879079797/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1477034378&sr=1-1&keywords=The+SPirituality+of+the+Christian+East

I was trying to remember Fr. Roberson's book! Yeah, that's another one I would suggest. 

One thing to remember with the Byzantine Churches is that they are the same in theology as their EO counterparts, just in union with Rome. Don't ask me how that works, because I've asked multiple Eastern Catholics and gotten just as many answers. I'm friends with a lot of Eastern Catholics who describe themselves as "Orthodox in union with Rome." 

I found the book Banished Heart by Geoffrey Hull to be very insightful. It is not precisely about the East, but it does go into detail regarding the schism, and the conditions in the centuries beforehand that provide context.

Okay, this has all been very helpful, and every book mentioned is now on my Amazon wishlist. Thank you all! :) 

To be clear: Do I understand correctly that Byzantine Catholics are basically a kind of mid-way point between Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy?

52 minutes ago, Gabriela said:

To be clear: Do I understand correctly that Byzantine Catholics are basically a kind of mid-way point between Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy?

The short answer is: It depends who you ask, among RCs, ECs and EOs!

Many of them seem to see themselves in that way, especially (I think) among the Melkites. This blog is now defunct, but there is some interesting material on it: https://eirenikon.wordpress.com/

You might want to look particularly at the figure of Archbishop Elias Zoghby who argued in that light.https://eirenikon.wordpress.com/2011/02/07/zoghby-initiative-original-1997-document-from-rome/

However, that didn't really go down very well with either Rome or the Orthodox. And the phrase "Orthodox in communion with Rome" is not really accepted by the Orthodox because, you know, ecclesiology... In fairness, however, Orthodox reactions to Eastern Catholics vary and in the Middle East they get on quite well, unlike the situation in Eastern Europe.

I think it's also fair to say that figures like Patriarch Maximos IV had an important impact on the Catholic Church at Vatican II, nudging it towards a slightly more Orthodox understanding. So he might be someone to follow up too...

4 hours ago, Gabriela said:

Okay, this has all been very helpful, and every book mentioned is now on my Amazon wishlist. Thank you all! :) 

:flowers:    :like2:

Depends on what you mean by "Roman Catholicism" and "Eastern Orthodoxy".  

9 hours ago, Egeria said:

The short answer is: It depends who you ask, among RCs, ECs and EOs!

Many of them seem to see themselves in that way, especially (I think) among the Melkites. This blog is now defunct, but there is some interesting material on it: https://eirenikon.wordpress.com/

You might want to look particularly at the figure of Archbishop Elias Zoghby who argued in that light.https://eirenikon.wordpress.com/2011/02/07/zoghby-initiative-original-1997-document-from-rome/

However, that didn't really go down very well with either Rome or the Orthodox. And the phrase "Orthodox in communion with Rome" is not really accepted by the Orthodox because, you know, ecclesiology... In fairness, however, Orthodox reactions to Eastern Catholics vary and in the Middle East they get on quite well, unlike the situation in Eastern Europe.

I think it's also fair to say that figures like Patriarch Maximos IV had an important impact on the Catholic Church at Vatican II, nudging it towards a slightly more Orthodox understanding. So he might be someone to follow up too...

Yes, the Melkites see themselves that way (for the most part) as do some Ruthenian and Ukrainian. Maronites don't really see themselves that way, they are pretty Roman, and I can't claim much knowledge past that. 

I didn't mean to introduce a point of contention. As a Roman Catholic, I think that the "Orthodox in communion with Rome" label is problematic. I merely meant to point out a widely held Eastern Catholic perspective. 

Edited by Amppax

6 hours ago, Jack4 said:

But seriously, @Gabriela, can you explain your question further? I see a small possibility that you have a misunderstanding. 

You mean this question:

On 10/22/2016 at 3:07 AM, Gabriela said:

Do I understand correctly that Byzantine Catholics are basically a kind of mid-way point between Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy?

?