An Old School Catholic Message Board

Incense in the home

Kateri89

I love the smell of incense and I love the prayer at mass during the incensing of the offerings "Let my prayer, O Lord, be directed as incense in Thy sight; the lifting up of my hands, as an evening sacrifice".  I decided I'd like to burn incense at home and I've read up on exactly how to burn it in a censer but I have one question so if anybody knows the answer you'd be helping me out a lot.  Does the charcoal briquette sit directly in the censer or do you need to have something (I've read sand works) to lay the charcoal on top of before adding the incense to the burning charcoal?

A Yearning Heart

I have no idea as to the answer to this. 

But I do love the smell of Church incense.  I remember once so much incense was used, the whole church was smoked out AND it set the fire alarm off in the sacristy. Was amazing-none of us left Adoration, while fire trucks pulled up outside....  

And wow, you have your own censor? (on a side note, is incense/incensing a sacramental?). 

Maybe first time you burn incense at home, light it outside and check everything is in the right place (i.e no ash or such is falling out) and just how much incense smoke is being created. 

If you are using a censer you can put the charcoal directly in it although some people like to put a small piece of aluminum foil in the bottom for easy clean up.  The charcoal gets super hot so if you're setting the censer on the floor or a table, make sure there is something under it that can take the heat.  I burn that kind of incense in a very small metal bathtub (I think it was supposed to be a soap dish) with a tile under it.

Edited by He is Risen!
spelling

It's amazing how direct and clear olfactory associations are.  Incense is a vivid reminder of church and Mass, for me.  

What kind of incense do you burn?

This site has my favorite kind (Monastery Icons).  It is a little pricey but the big can will last forever.  If it starts sticking together, you can just chip a little hunk of it off and it is still totally fine.  They have a sampler if you're unsure what kind you like.  (side note, this is the kind we used when I was in the convent and nobody seemed to have any allergy/ headache type issues with it)  Sometimes if you get really cheap incense the maker will put fillers in it and that's often what makes more sensitive people feel head-ey or sickey when it burns.  (That's prob more than what you wanted to know, but I just love incense, LOL) https://www.monasteryicons.com/category/Monastery_Incense

I'm developing a 100% beeswax candle that smells like the inside of a cathedral. I'm on formula #9 and have just about got the scent down. The problem with burning normal candles or incense over extended periods of time is that it produces unclean air. 100% beeswax, on the other hand, actually cleans the air as it burns (no black soot).

So yeah. They are gonna be amesome.

3 hours ago, dUSt said:

I'm developing a 100% beeswax candle that smells like the inside of a cathedral. I'm on formula #9 and have just about got the scent down. The problem with burning normal candles or incense over extended periods of time is that it produces unclean air. 100% beeswax, on the other hand, actually cleans the air as it burns (no black soot).

So yeah. They are gonna be amesome.

I might be willing to buy some of those. Depending on price point. :)