An Old School Catholic Message Board

should i vote to legalize it?

Ice_nine

Sharing best practice, changing the model on how to tackle addiction (treatment rather than prison) and a stronger educational focus much earlier on. It's like thinking jail can help an alcoholic in the long term -  almost everyone knows it won't.

• 1 month later...

As a former pothead, I'm conflicted but leaning more towards anti-legalization. I know the negative side of pot and feel it put me in a financial/emotional/social/spiritual limbo that I didn't recognize for years. It did make me more lax about other drugs and it did impair judgment. Was it as devastating as being an alcoholic or heroine addict? No, but it can still be debilitating in its own way.

I have friends that are still potheads, some with successful careers and some just getting by. The one common thread is they are all complacent about life and not in a blissful way. Their mental states range from numb to miserably nihilistic. One friend is seriously addicted and it's leading to a cycle of depression because she can't go a day without and then feels worthless because of it. I'm happy to be free of marijuana dependency. If I had kids or could advise anyone now, I would say you're better of without it.

On the other hand, the war on pot is kind of dumb and resources are wasted in pursuit of it. That said, does that mean society should just give in because the fight is futile? I see nothing wrong with medical marijuana (although most px use is fraudulent, one of my dealers was licensed in 2001 and I had no ailments) but what is happening is a normalization because people feel like it's already going on, so why fight it. That defeatist attitude also happened with standing up for sexual abstenance, for example. I don't think the witch hunt for marijuana abusers and dealers should continue as is, but what is going on now is a joke. 

Nihil Obstat
3 hours ago, JazzCleo said:

I cannot see your profile picture very well, but I think I really love it.  :like2: In that tiny thumbnail it reminds me of La Danse by David Hamilton.

$_3.JPG