An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sisters crossing their legs

katherineH

5 hours ago, Egeria said:

Regarding leg-crossing, this is considered disrespectful in Orthodox Churches (at least in the Greek tradition - I'm not entirely sure if it's universal), so it's not just about being ladylike as this applies just as much to men. It seems to have culural roots regarding what is appropriate in worship that have been to some extent lost in the West.

However, I have to say that I am somewhat taken aback at some of this discussion. I tend to readily identify with those who complain about the diffierences between women's and men's monasteries, and the small-mindedness often found in women's communities. But posture is fundamental to worship, at least in the historic Christian tradition and especially in monasticism. It is a form of language that literally forms us and shapes our response to God. And once you have been formed by this, seeing people sitting casually in choir with their legs crossed is profoundly disruptive. This isn't a matter of just obeying rules, but of entering into the language of a community and allowing oneself to be formed by it. Indeed, I suspect that for most monastics this isn't about rules at all, but of simply growing into an atmosphere of worship.

Moreover, it's certainly not just a female thing. I know several men's monasteries where it would be unheard of to sit with folded legs in choir.

It is also worth noting that the traditional Christian posture for prayer is standing. Sitting is already an accomodation to our weakness (witness the medieval misericord that enabled monks to half-sit and half-stand), which is surely reason to main a centered, reverent, attentive pose when sitting.

I agree with katherineH that this is a very insightful and eloquently stated observation. I don't disagree with the importance of posture in worship. Where I differ (I think...) is in the idea that religious communities ought to regulate individual posture. Of course, there's a limit: If a person's posture really is disruptive of the community's peace, then it should be corrected. But in the West today, I don't think there's much a nun would do to really disrupt others at worship. Put her feet up on the choir stall? It's a problem. But cross her legs? Mind your own business! In the East, though, if that really is culturally obnoxious, then regulate it.

Basically, I think we can all grow into the life of prayer and love of God, and bring our posture along with us. But I also think that's something each woman should be allowed to grow into on her own (again, unless she's really disruptive). And I think that, anytime I or we or a community thinks it's appropriate to correct an individual, I/we/that community ought to ask: Where is this urge to correct coming from, and is this something the person really needs to have corrected, or would it be better to let her get there on her own?