An Old School Catholic Message Board

Gift Ideas.

Spem in alium

Spem in alium

I've been invited to attend a final profession of a sister (not from my congregation) in November. She's been like a mentor to me in several ways.

I'm terrible at choosing gifts and so am stumped as to what to get her! Nothing holy or religious, as I don't know really what she likes and chances are many people will go that route. Any ideas? I want it to be something practical but also meaningful.

Sister Leticia

How about a photo frame, or even a small album she can use for photos from her profession ceremony? It's practical, and is a gift which will last many years.

IgnatiusofLoyola

If you were in the U.S. I'd heartily recommend anything from the Cloister Shoppe of the Summit Dominicans.

Are there any monasteries in Australia that have gift shops?

Alternatively, is there a charity that offers gifts for sale?

I'm sure your budget is limited, but I'm not the person to ask about gifts you could make. :ohno: Maybe someone else would have a suggestion.

Spem in alium
8 hours ago, Sister Leticia said:

How about a photo frame, or even a small album she can use for photos from her profession ceremony? It's practical, and is a gift which will last many years.

A photo frame is nice, and I know a place that sells beautiful ones. I'll have a look. Thank you!

4 hours ago, Gabriela said:

How about a case of good Trappist beer?

Ohhhh yes...I wonder if I can find that here, or maybe I'll try my hand at brewing... :cheers2:;) 

2 hours ago, IgnatiusofLoyola said:

If you were in the U.S. I'd heartily recommend anything from the Cloister Shoppe of the Summit Dominicans.

Are there any monasteries in Australia that have gift shops?

Alternatively, is there a charity that offers gifts for sale?

I'm sure your budget is limited, but I'm not the person to ask about gifts you could make. :ohno: Maybe someone else would have a suggestion.

There is a Benedictine abbey here which has a gift shop; however, she is from a Benedictine community and has quite good access to them I would say. I will look at the Summit Dominicans though as I've never really seen what they make. Thank you!

IgnatiusofLoyola
5 minutes ago, Spem in alium said:

There is a Benedictine abbey here which has a gift shop; however, she is from a Benedictine community and has quite good access to them I would say. I will look at the Summit Dominicans though as I've never really seen what they make. Thank you!

The Cloister Shoppe of the Summit Dominicans has lots of wonderful things. Unfortunately, however, the shipping cost from the U.S. might be too high to be practical. Still, it's a fun site to browse!

Spem in alium
1 minute ago, IgnatiusofLoyola said:

The Cloister Shoppe of the Summit Dominicans has lots of wonderful things. Unfortunately, however, the shipping cost from the U.S. might be too high to be practical. Still, it's a fun site to browse!

Just looking at them now. Such beautiful things! Shipping is $47. This is one time I wish it wasn't so much!

Be sure to consider what the sister is allowed to keep or own in her community! I have found that many sisters appreciate special foods.  Even though they are temporary goods, they can be shared with the whole community and there's no risk of the sister having to give it back, so maybe beer or wine like @Gabriela suggested :) 

5 hours ago, Spem in alium said:

Just looking at them now. Such beautiful things! Shipping is $47. This is one time I wish it wasn't so much!

Are you in the UK? Cuz I just ordered some calligraphy and illumination from St. Cecilia's Abbey. You could commission a frame-able piece for your friend. I believe they also have some ready-made pieces available on their website.

salveregina10

One nice thing that our guests did at our final profession was to donate items for the celebration itself - flowers, beverages, decorations, cakes etc.  This helps the whole community and adds to the celebration immensely.  

Religious items are always welcome, as are simple things like Amazon gift cards or a journal.  

At the end of the day, your presence and support of her will be the best gift :)

Spem in alium
2 hours ago, Gabriela said:

Are you in the UK? Cuz I just ordered some calligraphy and illumination from St. Cecilia's Abbey. You could commission a frame-able piece for your friend. I believe they also have some ready-made pieces available on their website.

Not UK. Much further south. :) Love the illumination idea!

2 hours ago, salveregina10 said:

One nice thing that our guests did at our final profession was to donate items for the celebration itself - flowers, beverages, decorations, cakes etc.  This helps the whole community and adds to the celebration immensely.  

Religious items are always welcome, as are simple things like Amazon gift cards or a journal.  

At the end of the day, your presence and support of her will be the best gift :)

I am not usually one to go with gift cards, but I think it could be done in this case if I'm not able to find anything else. Thank you! :) 

Sister Leticia
16 hours ago, Spem in alium said:

There is a Benedictine abbey here which has a gift shop; however, she is from a Benedictine community and has quite good access to them I would say.

Is that Jambaroo? I was in Sydney and NSW several years ago, and we visited that monastery on our way to somewhere else, precisely to visit their gift shop. I bought several of their cards, and one of my friends stocked up on candles. But I also remember their chapel, with its amazing view over the valley as a backdrop to the altar and crucifix.

Spem in alium
8 hours ago, Sister Leticia said:

Is that Jambaroo? I was in Sydney and NSW several years ago, and we visited that monastery on our way to somewhere else, precisely to visit their gift shop. I bought several of their cards, and one of my friends stocked up on candles. But I also remember their chapel, with its amazing view over the valley as a backdrop to the altar and crucifix.

Yes, Jamberoo! It's so beautiful there. I have only been there once, last year with some of my sisters. We were there for Mass with the abbey community and it was wonderful. Their chapel certainly has a fantastic view!

If she doesn't wear habits, maybe find her a nice piece of clothing like a stole (there are some stole with bible verse, very nice), or a watch etc...

If you can't get Trappist beer (!), I would recommend a book voucher. It may sound boring, but can be very welcome for religious. And, unless you really know what she'd like, avoid religious gifts like the plague!