An Old School Catholic Message Board

Gifts while visiting an order

vyvy07

Hello! I usually lurk more than post, but today I have some questions!

I've known a community for about 5-6 years and visited one of their houses several times, and I've just visited their motherhouse a few weeks ago. On that retreat, we have discussed me visiting for a longer visit soon for about four or five days. I think that I should bring them either a gift or a monetary donation.

For a gift, I was thinking I could bring them some coffee from the Catholic coffeehouse that I volunteer at. But, if a monetary donation would be better, I'm not sure how much would be enough. Which of these do you think would be a better choice? 

Spem in alium

Hi!

It's really up to you. My sisters and I love coffee :) But donations are also really appreciated and more "usable" in a way; sisters can put a donation towards something important.

As for how much, I usually would calculate living expenses around $20 per day. But it just depends on what you can afford. Even the gesture is simply meaningful in itself.

I offered monetary donations once and got turned down. The sisters said that hospitality was a part of their charism and that they were glad to be able to offer a visit for free.  I now bring some kind of baked good or tea when I visit them and they love it :)

On 10/26/2016 at 1:38 PM, Spem in alium said:

Hi!

It's really up to you. My sisters and I love coffee :) But donations are also really appreciated and more "usable" in a way; sisters can put a donation towards something important.

As for how much, I usually would calculate living expenses around $20 per day. But it just depends on what you can afford. Even the gesture is simply meaningful in itself.

Thank you for the advice! If I went with a monetary donation, should I give it to them during the retreat or send it later? 

On 10/27/2016 at 2:10 PM, katherineH said:

I offered monetary donations once and got turned down. The sisters said that hospitality was a part of their charism and that they were glad to be able to offer a visit for free.  I now bring some kind of baked good or tea when I visit them and they love it :)

Interesting, did you give it to them during the retreat or send it in later? It's great that you know them so well! :)

On 10/27/2016 at 11:41 PM, emptyforgod said:

There are some cloistered monks near me that roast coffee. When I have visited convents, I have brought them some of the coffee.

Thank you for the reply! The order of religious sisters I'm visiting regularly drink coffee, so I think it would an acceptable gift for them. So, I'm hoping to bring them coffee from the place I volunteer at :) 

On 10/29/2016 at 9:49 PM, vyvy07 said:

Thank you for the advice! If I went with a monetary donation, should I give it to them during the retreat or send it later? 

Interesting, did you give it to them during the retreat or send it in later? It's great that you know them so well! :)

Thank you for the reply! The order of religious sisters I'm visiting regularly drink coffee, so I think it would an acceptable gift for them. So, I'm hoping to bring them coffee from the place I volunteer at :) 

I gave it to Mother as I was leaving, saying goodbye.