An Old School Catholic Message Board

Good Books on Amazon on Different Orders

cartermia

Does anybody have any suggestions for good books on Dominican, Benedictine, or Carmelite spiritualities? I'm hoping to get at least one book before my senior retreat at school in a couple of weeks. 

I'm really struggling with my discernment (I finally told my mom after 5 years...) and am being pulled in different directions on orders. I want to start visiting communities in a year (when I'm 18) but for now I will continue educating myself on the different orders and communities. This is one of the ways I can educate myself. Does anybody else have any ideas? 

Pax yall! 

You can read the rule of St Benedict online for free just do a google search. That's a great place to start for benedictines. When I'm home with access to my computer I'll have a few more suggestions. :)

Sister Leticia

There are a great many articles and resources online, and it might be better to start there. Later on, if you feel drawn in a particular direction, that might be the time to consider books, which you should be able to order from Pauline Books or another Catholic bookseller (I'd rather give them my money than Amazon!) or else direct from the publisher.

Was there a reason why you asked specifically about Dominican, Benedictine and Carmelite spiritualities?

Another option is used books. The best place to go for them is www.bookfinder.com, which will search literally thousands of book sites for you, and give you the books in order of price (including postage). If you want a new book, they list those, too. I always start there.

I agree with Sister and look at the resources available online first. That might help you to narrow down your search, without overwhelming yourself with too many books. I'd suggest also poking around the websites of orders you like. They often have lots of great resources on their spirituality and spiritual family.

Domincian

Short article talking about the four pillars of Dominican life

Few good articles on the DSMME website

Benedictine

Rule of St. Benedict (relatively short and easy to read)

Good articles on St. Emma's monastery website

Benedictine oblates guide to Benedictine Spirituality

Carmelite

Nine Themes in Carmelite Spirituality

Good Vision Vocations article on Carmelite spirituality

Edited by Kayte Postle

On 10/27/2016 at 7:28 PM, Sister Leticia said:

There are a great many articles and resources online, and it might be better to start there. Later on, if you feel drawn in a particular direction, that might be the time to consider books, which you should be able to order from Pauline Books or another Catholic bookseller (I'd rather give them my money than Amazon!) or else direct from the publisher.

Was there a reason why you asked specifically about Dominican, Benedictine and Carmelite spiritualities?

I have a hard time reading stuff online and analyzing/keeping track of the information. I am much more of a book worm and the reason why I said Amazon is because for my birthday my mom got me a gift card to there. 

I asked about these three orders because I have always loved the OSB'a (I've read the Rule btw), my SD wants me to consider cloistered/contemplative OP's, and OCD saints have kind of been stalking me for a while so I thought I'd check into their charisma. I'm drawn to the contemplative way of life and wish to learn more about that as well. 

Fire Within by Fr. Dubay (Carmelite. The best, most accurate distilation that I've come across, very readable)

The New Wine of Dominican Spirituality: A Drink Called Happiness by Murray

Edited by andibc

"I want to see God" by blessed Marie-Eugène. I think it's one of the best book in Carmelite spirituality. 

https://www.amazon.com/Want-See-God-Practical-Spirituality/dp/0870612239

https://www.amazon.com/Saint-Benedict-Father-Catholic-Classic-ebook/dp/B002XDR29E/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1477840291&sr=1-3&keywords=saint+benedict classical biography of St Benedict

Do you accept cistercian writers ? They are benedictine ! 
If yes, read "On loving God" by St Bernard and his Sermons on the Song of Songs. And any selected work by St Bernard or other Cistercian Fathers :) Just write "Bernard of Clairvaux" on the Amazon Searching Bar and you have many books. 

With regard to Benedictine spirituality, anything by Michael Casey.

https://www.amazon.com/Michael-Casey/e/B001IO9TAE/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1477842293&sr=1-2-ent

As a sort of aside, I came across this short interview with Fr Casey today, together with an extract of something he wrote on Merton, which echoes things I have also sometimes felt when reading Merton...

https://sancrucensis.wordpress.com/2016/10/26/michael-casey-and-thomas-merton/

CountrySteve21

A Carmelite religious recommended I read the Life of St. Teresa of Avila to learn more about Carmelite spirituality.